pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Unable to find specific channels, and stopped...
Unable to find specific channels, and stopped...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
jago

Hello all.

After many painstaking hours of searching through this forum and google, I was finally able to get my HD5500 card working with Comcast (ugh) cable. (thanks for all the tips Rusty and xyzzy!) However, it's not a success story ... yet.

As it seems, the blackbird module is still loaded during startup, I remember reading that it might mess up viewing for some people. My main issue with digital is that it seems that I need to use some other program (dtvsignal -q [channel]) to get it to actually tune to the cable channel first, then continue with my usual
Code:
`getatsc -q [channel] > pipe`.
This pipe is then read by VLC, which works very well. (Haven't gotten xine or mythtv to compile, or mplayer to play it, or any other media player to work with digital, but that's for another time maybe.) Then after a while of tuning to different channels, VLC reports that the packet is corrupt, and refuses to play any more. Only restarting the computer will (maybe) let me watch digital again. It feels like I can only watch digital TV when I am lucky on that particular day.

My second big issue, is that I am unable to find local channels such as 7.1 (ABC). I am able to watch it with my digital cable TV, without going through a cable box first. So that strikes me as extremely odd that I am unable to find that particular channel. All (most) of the other digital channels show up fine using xyzzy's atscscan.

Fresh Ubuntu 6.06 install (Edgy won't let me use the keyboard Sad), Pentium 4, 2gb ddr533, RaptorX drive, eVGA7900GTX. I used to have an MSI TV@nywhere in, but was removed when I got the 5500.

TVtime works just fine with analog.

Another note: output of my `dmesg` at the end of trying to use atscscan with QAM64 is:
Code:
lgdt330x: lgdt330x_set_parameters: Modulation type(6) UNSUPPORTED.
Is there someway that I can test to see if QAM64 is working right? My cable does seem to be QAM256 only.

Suggestions are most welcome.

j

Last edited by jago on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
jago

It just stopped again. I was doing other things, then came back to see if the digital worked, and it didn't. `getatsc -q 21` gives nothing in stdout, and dmesg gives
Code:
cx88[0]/2: cx8802_timeout
lgdt330x: lgdt330x_set_parameters: Modulation type(6) UNSUPPORTED
a few times.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
jago

Yesterday I rebooted, and analog worked without any settings changes whatsoever. Digital would not work, even after I tried many things including modprobing the drivers ect.

Today I rebooted, and analog worked. For digital I did:

Code:
dtvsignal -q 21

and it found 99% signal.

I tried my usual

Code:
getatsc -q 21 > TVPIPE

and it worked great!

Output of my dmesg is:
Code:
lgdt330x: lgdt330x_set_parameters: Modulation type(6) UNSUPPORTED

Strange.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
jago

More interesting: it would seem that dtvsignal can change the channel, when getatsc cannot... I was wondering why I would get the same couple of subchannels over and over again.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
jago

The problem of the missing channels is solved! The ones I was looking for are waaay over on channels 81 and 82. They are the only ones that showed up with actual channel names.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote
jago

Now I'm having a problem with stuttering during playback. CPU usage is below half with HD, and I'm playing in VLC. I can't tell if my GPU (7900GTX) is accelerating the playback or not. How do I find that out?

My usual code `getatsc -q 82 > TVPIPE` is then read by VLC. It has been skipping some frames and garbling the screen for a second, as if some data was not decoded correctly (different problem then before). I enabled the cache value of 300ms which fixed it a bit, but not entirely. Cache value of over that, and I get no more sound. Strange again.

Anyone know what else to try? NTSC works fine, and my dtvsignal is always at 99% for all channels I try. The stuttering only occurs when I've been watching the channel for a few minutes.

I still need to get MythTV working, that is my end game. But I'll wait to dive into that for a bit.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

The video stuttering is usually caused from the processing of the video. If you are using a nVidia driver, the nVidia logo will appear at startup (unless you disabled that option). Your xorg.config file needs to call out the driver too. This is where you can add some options for your video display.

Try using a different nVidia driver. The latest version is not always the best.

You may need to change the way the video is deinterlaced. I'm not sure how to change it in VLC, but "BOB" is usually a good choice.

A couple of the regular posters on this forum are much more knowledgeable on this subject than I am, maybe they will chime in and offer some more specific advice.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Aderjodick8

http://Angelina-Jolie-Showing-Off-Her-****.info
Unable to find specific channels, and stopped...
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup