pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Need a simple tool, but don't have the know-how to write it
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Need a simple tool, but don't have the know-how to write it
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Electrode

I need a program that I can run on /dev/dtv to pull PSIP ID data from a very weak signal. Something that works like dtvstream or psipguide, but won't give up after just a second.

I have attempted to hack the aforementioned tools to do it, but my programming expertise is pretty much nonexistant. Could someone throw something together?

If you need motivation, I could paypal $5 to whoever does it first.
Re: Need a simple tool, but don't have the know-how to write
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
pdicamillo

Electrode wrote:
I need a program that I can run on /dev/dtv to pull PSIP ID data from a very weak signal. Something that works like dtvstream or psipguide, but won't give up after just a second.

I have attempted to hack the aforementioned tools to do it, but my programming expertise is pretty much nonexistant. Could someone throw something together?

If you need motivation, I could paypal $5 to whoever does it first.

I have an idea of how to do this. I'd start with the NIST reference parser found here: http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/cmr/dase/download.html and modify it to get the PSIP data you want. I've also used this book which is very helpful: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071375902/104-0240708-3547909 I'm trying to find time to finish some updates to dtvstream, and don't have time to do something like this.

If the signal is so weak that there is significant corruption of the data stream then parser won't work well. The ATSC data stream is very complex, and it's difficult to write a parser which can handle a lot of corruption. I used the NIST parser in dtvstream, and I've seen it crash with weak signals. Although I fixed a few of the worst problems, it became obvious to me that it's not feasible to make it immune to any arbitrary corruption.
Need a simple tool, but don't have the know-how to write it
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics