pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Audio with S-Video input
Audio with S-Video input
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
cfr131

I have the 5500 working great in MYTH for OTA digital and OTA NTSC. The audio for both come from the card. I have a satellite I want to feed in via the S-video. I configured it via the Myth backend and connected video to the card and audio to the AUX in the sound card.

When I switch inputs in Myth, I get video, but I havenít figured out how to get audio.
Re: Audio with S-Video input
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
cfr131

cfr131 wrote:
I have the 5500 working great in MYTH for OTA digital and OTA NTSC. The audio for both come from the card. I have a satellite I want to feed in via the S-video. I configured it via the Myth backend and connected video to the card and audio to the AUX in the sound card.

When I switch inputs in Myth, I get video, but I havenít figured out how to get audio.

After I posted the message, I played around with the system and have more details:

In the myth backend under the capture card setup there is a section for Analog.

Selecting dsp1 allows me to get digital audio when watching an analog OTA channel, when I switch to the S-Video, I get video, but only audio noise.

Selecting dsp gives no audio from analog OTA channels (because I donít have the audio out from the 5500 connected to anything), I now get audio and video when I switch to S-video in.

Ideally, I would like to get digital (i.e direct) audio for analog OTA channels and then audio via sound card to go along with the S-Video, but I donít know how to configure that? Is there a better way?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

Unfortunately I don't think MythTV is that flexible. Best you can do is to plug the HD5500 into your sound card, and your sound-in into the HD5500, and use your sound card for both.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

nybbler wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think MythTV is that flexible. Best you can do is to plug the HD5500 into your sound card, and your sound-in into the HD5500, and use your sound card for both.

Nybbler: How do I get the audio-in from the cable box into the 5500???

I can't find any adapter which might have come with the 5500 for this (is there one? I'll be glad to pay for it if I could find a way to get ahold of pcHDTV.com...they don't seem to answer e-mail to their "support" address). I'm using an old ATI-Wonder s-video-in adapter (which has the same plug) to get the video, but the audio inputs on it don't work with the 5500.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

Update:

I actually bought ANOTHER 5500 card, as I will probably set up another Myth box. This one DID come with an adapter for the s-video/composite video in and audio out, which I set up correctly, and routed the audio out from the STB into the audio-in jack on the 5500; the audio-out jack is plugged into the line-in on the sound card.

Unfortunately, this STILL doesn't work right.

To get audio while watching the NTSC channels, I have to set the audio device under "analog options" for the capture card in Myth to /dev/dsp2 (the only options are /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp2; I don't know where dsp1 went). However, when it's set to /dev/dsp2 (the 5500), I get video on the s-video input, but only get audio static. If I set the default audio device to /dev/dsp, I get audio on s-video, but it's out of phase with the video, since the video is coming via the hard drive and the audio is coming direct from the STB, AND - it never goes away - if I change to another input, I still get sound from the STB, even though I have changed to, say, the dvb input. Also, I get no audio on NTSC channels with this setting.

So....am I seeing that I CAN'T have both the analog tuner AND the s-video input both working under Myth??

And, even if I didn't use the analog tuner and used the s-video instead, how do I solve the problem of the out-of-phase and never-shutting-off sound from the STB??

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

It sounds like you have some sort of sound card issue. During digital playback, mythtv doesn't use the /dev/dsp devices for capture. So if you're hearing them, it seems like your sound card might be in some sort of "monitor" mode where everything on the input is being piped to the output. This would also explain the unsynced audio.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

nybbler wrote:
It sounds like you have some sort of sound card issue. During digital playback, mythtv doesn't use the /dev/dsp devices for capture. So if you're hearing them, it seems like your sound card might be in some sort of "monitor" mode where everything on the input is being piped to the output. This would also explain the unsynced audio.

Nybbler - agreed! I believe you've hit the nail on the head.

The sound card is a Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

If I bring up KMix, I see that there is a "Line" and a "Line 2" input slider. There's only one "Line In" jack on the card, though there is a Mic input (there's a separate slider in KMix for that, too).

The only way I can get sound is to enable "Line" and also increase the "analog mix" slider...which gives me the issue above - "always on" sound..

Anyone here know how to solve this issue?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

Fixed! Use the MIC input rather than the line-in if you have an Audigy2 ZS sound card.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup