pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Completely frustrated now.
Completely frustrated now.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote

I've been trying to get this working for over 2 weeks now and I'm about to pitch the whole computer out the damn window.

I bought the HD5500 so I could receive regular cable channels, unencrypted digital and HD channels and, hopefully, some digital radio stations

I get didly.

I'm running a fresh install of Debian Etch on a Dual P4 Xeon 2.0Ghz machine. The on board video is a ATI Rage XL. The system hard drive is WD 40gig connected to the primary IDE interface.There is a 3ware 7508 IDE raid controller with 5 80gig drives configured as a raid 5 array.

The dmesg output shows the card is detected and drivers installed
/dev/dvb/adapter0 is present and contains;

Also present are;
/dev/vbi0 and /dev/video0

I have no /dev/radio0

I manually copied firmware files are in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware

I've run make udev and make modfix from the pcHDTV-extras.

make udev worked and copied the udev files to the proper directory under /etc/udev/rules.d

make modfix failed. There is no modprobe.conf file on my system.

The kernel is the stock 2.6.18-3-686 that DI installed. I've tried 2.6.19 and 2.5.20-rc5. Not only did the newer kernels not help they broke my ps2 mouse.

I've read countless pages that talk about what to do with older kernels, I haven't found much about 2.6.18 other than info saying that all the drivers are already installed in the kernel.

I've even tried recompiling the 2.6.18 kernel, making sure all the DVB modules are included. I couldn't figure out how to compile them into the kernel. It was modules or nothing.

I don't know what to do next. Please help.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

What Kernel Version comes with the stock distribution?

Sometimes newer isn't better. I tried to preserve my Fedora Core 4 system by installing a fresh copy of FC6 on a new hard drive and then began monkeying with the 5500 from there. The stock kernel (2.6.1Cool was broken and the V4L drivers wouldn't compile (xine-Hd compiled, but had nothing to show.) Since I don't usually stray from rpms, I couldn't easily move to kernel 2.6.20.

I ended up going back to my FC4 (2.6.12) and the damn thing just about worked right out of the box (had to fix permission on the card). Myth reported the DVB card, I added it, then added channels, did some other setup stuff, and began to enjoy stuttering video... sweet, sweet, stuttering video. Yep, stuttering... but it worked.
Completely frustrated now.
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup