pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> pchdtv 5500 with MythTV
pchdtv 5500 with MythTV
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
aco_pa

I am using a pchdtv 5500 with cable tv (Comcast), I am just starting out, trying to get myth up and functioning.

I am using...

Fedora Core 6 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6
Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz
4 Gb Ram
4x320 Gb SATA software RAID

I have followed several HowTos I have found online for pchdtv 5500 and other generic HowTos without success. I cannot get a signal from myth. I can get a program like TvTime to show live tv, detect several channels, etc.

All of the HowTo articles I found outlined using Fedora's yum to install everything. I reimaged the computer after each attempt and started over. The general consensus is that the kernel I am using does not need additional drivers but I tried the drivers from the website as well.

Is there a howto that anyone has had success with?
Is there something I am missing?
Do I need to compile MythTV myself instead of using yum?

I would prefer to use Fedora 6
but OpenSUSE 10.2 would be acceptable as well
I will consider another distro if necessary

Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
bzlxj

For DVB using MythTV and the 5500 and the kernel you're running, no software installation is needed from PCHDTV. I had a system already setup, so adding this card was simple once I realized what was happening.

TVtime is playing back video from the analog tuner (using the video4linux driver.) I found the analog tuner to be a nuisance and a waste of time on my setup because of the way the sound is delivered back into the sound card. I found that when I switched tuners on MythTV, the analog tuner was left open and the sound continued to feed through the soundcard input. But it becomes VERY LOUD static once the ATSC tuner is opened.

I get my signals over-the-air, so I don't know about QAM. You're problem may be a system compatibility problem.

For Fedora Core- Step 1. http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

The basics of the setup: kernel 2.6.19 has native support for the DVB card. Run mythtvsetup and go to the tuner card setup. Create a card using the generic DVB selection (it will tell you it found the pchd5500) and don't use the PCHD5500 specific selection.

It is possible to setup the analog tuner using the Analog Option button during the tuner card setup in mythtvsetup, but you'll probably regret it since the only way to get rid of a tuner card selection is to delete all of the cards and start over.

If you plan on doing a system upgrade, see my post on kernel 2.6.20 and fedora...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
nybbler

bzlxj wrote:
It is possible to setup the analog tuner using the Analog Option button during the tuner card setup in mythtvsetup, but you'll probably regret it since the only way to get rid of a tuner card selection is to delete all of the cards and start over.

No, it isn't. Just select the offending tuner card and press 'D'.
pchdtv 5500 with MythTV
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup