pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> pcHDTV 5500 Installation: Not a happy process Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:51 am Reply with quote
rogerdugans

I have partially given up:
I am just NOT going to be able to get this card to perform the way I had hoped, period, it seems.

I do have a few pieces of information that seem crucial to get dvb running with this card:

1) use a 2.6.17 or newer kernel
2) specify the device options for cx88-alsa: options cx88-alsa index=-2
3) using the analog portion of the card as well as digital causes problems.

#1) I have tried the card with a number of different distros and NO success with dvb with earlier kernels. v4l may work, but seems to have bugs causing lockups and sporadic signal errors.

#2) The sound issues seem to be fixed completely by specifying the options for cx88-alsa: look in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and at the end of the file you may see other devices which have issues and need the doptions set- add cx88-alsa to the list and all seems fine.

#3) I now have very few problems with the card when ONLY using DVB and ATSC signals. Any and every configuration and set of options I have tried to use the Analog options gets me some amount of errors- card locks and system locks. I am no longer even setting that up.

I did install Windows for laughs and check out the Windows drivers that are included on the cd- not having noticed that the readme states that the pcHDTV 5500 needs and ATI video card and mutlimedia software to work in Windows... rofl
So Windows is wiped yet again. Wink

Going to check for issues with the 5500 and an IVTV card now- may mess with seeing if I can get it to work alongside my pvr350, so I can still get SOME HD stuff...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
waterhead

rogerdugans wrote:
I did install Windows for laughs and check out the Windows drivers that are included on the cd- not having noticed that the readme states that the pcHDTV 5500 needs and ATI video card and mutlimedia software to work in Windows... rofl
So Windows is wiped yet again. Wink

I don't believe that you need all of that ATI stuff to use it in Windows. There is an open source program called Media Portal that you can use for watching and recording HDTV. There is a thread in the MP forums devoted to setting up this card. I urge you to check it out.
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/pchdtv_5500_mp_help-t14693.html

Paul S

P.S. Use the stable version, 0.2.2.0

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
rogerdugans

Waterhead- thanks for the info: it IS appreciated.

But I really despise Windows nowadays, and will NOT be keeping that on any of my machines. Wink

May well be useful to others though, and maybe a buddy of mine if I end up not using my card. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I probably would have abandoned my Windows XP boxes for Linux, if it had not been for Media Portal. Yes, it is that good.

I will not be upgrading to Vista, EVER! I don't like the fact that they are forcing DMA upon us via the operating system. So, when support for XP runs out, I'll be Linux only.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
pcHDTV 5500 Installation: Not a happy process
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup