pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Minimum requirements for record only?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Minimum requirements for record only?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
gr8_phk

I was considering putting my hd2000 in an older PC (Athlon 700) and just recording to disk. Playback would be on a nice shiney new A64 Shuttle system I'll get soon. Is this feasible? Is a slow system able to record? I would gladly put the hd2000 in the shuttle (looking at SN95G5) but I'm not certain if it's got 5V PCI - originally I thought not, but there is some hope.

Minimum requirements for record?

Anyone know about this shuttle or the older SN85G4V2 ?

Thanks,
Paul
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote

I can record to disk using about 8% cpu on a 267MHz Mac G3 desktop. The data arrive on the HD2000 at about 20megabits/sec and you must copy them off and save to disk faster than that. It is also possible to send the stream over a 100-base-t network and decode the stream on a remote system. (10-base-t is not fast enough)

Stephen Lewis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:47 am Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I can record to disk using about 8% cpu on a 267MHz Mac G3 desktop. The data arrive on the HD2000 at about 20megabits/sec and you must copy them off and save to disk faster than that. It is also possible to send the stream over a 100-base-t network and decode the stream on a remote system. (10-base-t is not fast enough)

Stephen Lewis

What software are you using?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:08 am Reply with quote

It was a test using YDL 3.0 with kernel 2.6.3 patched with pcHDTV patches using 'getatsc' from the tools that came with pcHDTV card. The G3 is not fast enough to decode mpeg but it can stream the video to another box where you can use 'xine' or similar to decode.

Stephen Lewis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Stephen Lewis

And on what type of machine do you view the playback?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote

I have been using a Mac G4 Cube with YDL 2.0, kernel 2.4.22 and 'xine' v0.99. This is not supposed to be a recommendation - its just what I have and it works for me. The G3 is too slow for mpeg but has PCI slots, my G4 Cube has no slots but does have an ATI Rage 128 video and a clock of 450MHz and is fast enough for standard digital TV either full screen or in a window using Xvideo but not quite fast enough for HDTV. I suspect a faster G4 or a G5 would be fast enough for HDTV also. The mpeg decode is all software and I am using XFree86 'ati' GPL video driver. I am sure newer hardware would be better but I think practically anything with a PCI slot is good enough for the receiver card but you need either a fast cpu or a driver/graphics card that has motion compensation (or IDCT) in hardware to decode the transport sream.

Stephen Lewis
Minimum requirements for record only?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics