pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> What is the minimal signal strength to get the HDTV/DTV ?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
What is the minimal signal strength to get the HDTV/DTV ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Mudit

Hi,

What's the minimum signal strength at which the HD-2000 (or the upcoming HD-3000) gets the HDTV/DTV channel without dropping frames ?

I've currently LG LST 4200A and it shows that I'm getting approximately 50% of the signal strength on all channels using my 15-20 yr old roof top antenna. Almost all the channels are about 41 miles way. I'm in San Jose, the broadcast tower (Sutro ?) is in San Francisco.

Wondering if I'd be getting HDTV/DTV channels at 50% strength from the HD-3000 card also ?

Thanks
Mudit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I doubt it! I've found that reception with the HD-2000 is tolerable at 70-75%. Between 80%-89% I'll get a glitch maybe two or three times an hour. 90% and above are perfect signals, as if I had a cable going straight to the stations to my computer.

50%? I don't think you'd see anything on the HD-2000.
Re: What is the minimal signal strength to get the HDTV/DTV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
inkling

Using the raw values from the driver, where 240 is max, 176/240 is about the bare mininum for post EQ signal strength as observed by the driver, so about 73% of max scale, i.e. what Scott said.

If you wanted to break a sweat, you could check for losses in the feed line but distance from transmitter may be your biggest problem.

Not sure if rooftop is high enough for a 40 mile line of sight, but maybe you're at a higher elevation.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Spinoza

This has been discussed a few times on here, and on the MythTV mailing list with myself, Jarod and a bunch of other pchdtv users. The signal strength at which a channel is watchable is different for each channel. No one could prove why, but we all observed the same thing.

http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=88092;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;list=mythtv

The lower the channel, the lower the signal strength can be and still be able to decode the channel correctly. Distance from transmitter and transmitter power being equal... of course.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics