pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Mplayer and general information
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Mplayer and general information
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
jrmann1999

I want to first say I can't thank you enough for creating a Linux hdtv card. I'm currently using a MIT MyHD 100 card and while I'm happy with it, the configurability of linux far outweighs any windows solution.

This card coupled with a small cube system could easily replace any modern TiVO device if the support and diversity for this card grows. I can think of a few very viable business models that can grow out of such a system and bring a big chip to the table in support of Linux.

This all being said let me ask my questions:

1. Is the mplayer support such that a good linux user can get this card in a working and moderately stable use pattern? By this I mean can I watch + record ATSC broadcasts with a little fiddling?

2. What are the plans for the analog tuner support? Could this become the de-facto standard for NTSC analog + digital support on Linux?

I fully plan on purchasing and tinkering with this card, just any heads up information would be greatly appreciated.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:05 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I was able to get the driver to work with some difficulty. The instructions were not step-by-step and I had to take some guesses at what things needed to be enabled in the kernel. The kernel patches on the web site worked. It took some hours but I got it to work. Compiling xine-hd took some work to because I had to wipe out every bit of xine that was already on my system and I didn't know where all its files were. mplayer worked immediately.

My experience so far is that watching standard definition 480p TV is easy, looks great, and is barely a load on the system. Watching 720p HDTV like my ABC station takes somewhat more CPU but my machine can still handle it. Watching 1080i like what most HDTV stations broadcast is just beyond what my system can do. It can just barely keep up and regularly drops frames. I upgraded to a 2.1 Ghz CPU and while that improved things, it didn't solve them. I haven't gotten the hardware acceleration of my Geforce 4 to help much although xine is definitely using it when I give it the -V xvmc option.

Another issue is how clean the signals are. MPEG players like xine and mplayer don't have a lot of code smart code to recover from corrupt streams. Someimes a screwed up packet will crash them or mess them up to the point you have to restart them to get them working again. Someitmes it will take a few tries before they can latch onto the stream properly. I can see all the antenna towers four miles away out of my front window and their signals are all 87-95 but I still have to deal with an occasional corrupt packet that messes up xine or mplayer.

I think the card supports NTSC although I haven't used it.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:09 pm Reply with quote
jrmann1999

Have you sucessfully recorded streams with it at all?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Recording is very easy. You simply direct the output of getatsc to a file. Later you play that file with xine or mplayer.

The problem: a half hour stream will generate 4-8 Gb file.
mplayer with pcHDTV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
photonwave

My experience is similar to Scott Larson's above.

I'm using a gentoo 2.6.8 r3 kernel. Unfortunately, the patches from the pcHDTV guys were not available for my kernel (they had patches for 2.6.6 and 2.6.9), so I cobbled together the necessary changes and was able to compile my kernel.

For background info I'm using: 2.8ghz pentium 4, 512 mb ram, Radeon 9000pro 128mb, I've had problems getting xine to play properly (probably my inexperience with xine), so I'm using mplayer to view hdtv streams.

The 720p streams (1280x720) look great. Very smooth playback. The 1080i (1920x1088) streams look beautiful but my cpu is just a little slow in rendering the video, so it's slightly clunky.

So far I've only "recorded" shows using
Code:
getatsc /dev/video32 40 > tonight_show.ts

I'm trying to configure freevo for recording, but there doesn't appear to be much existing support for using pcHDTV .

I've found that I can use mencoder to convert the 1080i stream to something that still looks good but can be played cleanly (no jerkiness due to CPU maxing out):
Code:
mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=5000 -oac copy -vop scale -zoom -xy 1280 -o output.avi input.ts

The bonus of converting the "ts" file is that a half hour show that is about 4.3 gigs can be saved as a 1.2gig sized avi.
Re: mplayer with pcHDTV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
manyoso

photonwave wrote:

I'm trying to configure freevo for recording, but there doesn't appear to be much existing support for using pcHDTV .

Well, if you haven't already, you should try MythTV. It works with the HD cards and pcHDTV. Give it a shot unless you are a developer of freevo or something Wink
Mplayer and general information
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics