pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> debating the hd3000
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
debating the hd3000
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
unreal33

I've been reading and wanting to build a MythTV system for a long while - basically I need some advice, I must say I have some worries/doubts about an HD capture device that is leaning more on the CPU's ability to handle the work load (not really sure what you call that, hardware vs software decoding?) anyway - maybe someone can give me some input and set me straight on this.

I had been looking at purchasing somthing like this.. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-310&DEPA=0
mainly because it has the ability to decode with its own hardware, and will put less load on the cpu. But from what I'm reading about HD capture and linux, people seem to love the HD3000... not to mention the HD3000 basicaly works out of the box with Myth, unlike any other HD capture cards as of present. I guess what I'm asking is will the HD3000 work for me given the hardware and setup that I'm aiming for? Well here goes - this is my setup;

with this setup I would like the ability to record from a single source (for now) in the future I may need the ability to record from 2 sources at the same time (i.e. one output from DirectTv [non-HD DTV] and one HD Over the air program) -for now one at a time is probably going to be enough...

cpu: XP 1800+
ram: 512 DDR
mobo: A7N266-VM (with digi audio out)
drives: 120gig western digi 8meg cache
optical: Pioneer 16x slot load DVD
* for video out I have the options of either an fx5200 (128meg) or an ATI 8500DV - I'm not sure how well the ATI will work even if its just for output and not for any capture (as i've read the card is useless when it comes to Myth) =Input on that would be greatly appreciated Smile

- now where I think there is some gray area is with the CPU, now the HD3000 site claims that a 1200mhz pentium is plenty to record a single stream HD, does anyone think my 1800+ will choke with HD? I think a bigger goal with this whole project will be the ability to record HD smoothly
I'll worry about multiple recordings at the same time when I need that functionality, Plus I hate to blow 200 bucks on a card that I can't use in a windows box should Myth not end up working.

Anyway I'm itching to buy somthing soon, and I'd love to get some feed back from owners !

Thanks guys
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
SigTom

What about playback? The specs on the site are for recording HDTV, not playback. I have a XP2000+ CPU w/FX 5700LE using XvMC and Im just able to get playback. If your building from scratch, Id get a much more powerful CPU and stick with the FX5200 card. XP3000-3200 would be a good choice.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
unreal33

well, what do you mean just able to get playback? does your system struggle with it? could that be a driver or software issue? - my test bed is setup and running FC2... seems to run fine - of course I can't do any capture yet...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
SigTom

If I dont enable XvMC I cant watch any HDTV streams on my PC. If I do enable XvMC I can watch it, but I still get prebuffering pauses, aka it pauses every few seconds when I watch it. I may be able to get rid of that by recompiling MythTV and optimize it for my system, or I may have to get a new mobo and CPU to handle it. If you can get a more powerful CPU, Im sure youll be happy you did.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
unreal33

well - how about this, since i'm getting antsy I would like to view some high def caps on my system and mess with the resolutions (my tv is a 16x9 ratio 55") I plan on running a rgbhv input on my tv, so I have to start playing with powerstrip... I guess if the playback is that bad I can always step up to somthing like a 3ghz HT p4... one question - where can I find HD sample caps? I've seen people talking about getting ABC & CBS HD clips from http://wilsonet.com/ but I can't seem to dig any up... can anyone here link me?

Thanks for the input
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
SigTom

Email Jarod, the guy who runs that site...he wrote the FC2+MythTV tut on that site as well. Just ask him if he still has them available and if so can he give you a link.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
unreal33

SigTom wrote:
What about playback? The specs on the site are for recording HDTV, not playback. I have a XP2000+ CPU w/FX 5700LE using XvMC and Im just able to get playback. If your building from scratch, Id get a much more powerful CPU and stick with the FX5200 card. XP3000-3200 would be a good choice.

- I was just playing with some HD caps on my main rig xp2500 / fx5200 XP box, I'm able to play HD clips from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx
what i'm finding brought up a few questions - maybe someone can help. My xp2500 strungles a bit with the 1080i playback but handles the 720 with out much problem - So i'm guessing this means the same thing for my Mythbox? I'm wondering what resolutions I'd be able to record in at all? Reason I ask is i'm not sure what resolutions are being broadcast to me now, and I don't think my TV can even tell me... But lets assume that I'm getting 480 or 720 wouldn't these lower resolutions put less demand on my play back requirements? I seem to think at most I'm seeing 720 but since I can't tell and i'm new to the whole HD scene I have no clue - Anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 am Reply with quote
onyxsoft

unreal33 wrote:
I'm wondering what resolutions I'd be able to record in at all? Reason I ask is i'm not sure what resolutions are being broadcast to me now, and I don't think my TV can even tell me...

This may vary in some locales, but generally CBS and NBC are 1080i, ABC is 720p. Fox is only recently starting to broadcast HDTV (they were upsampling to EDTV before?). Don't know the res. Also not sure about WB and UPN.

--
David
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

FOX is 720p. UPN and WB are 1080i. I'm lucky to live in one of the few areas in the country that has an HD station for every single network. Razz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
unreal33

onyxsoft wrote:
unreal33 wrote:
I'm wondering what resolutions I'd be able to record in at all? Reason I ask is i'm not sure what resolutions are being broadcast to me now, and I don't think my TV can even tell me...

This may vary in some locales, but generally CBS and NBC are 1080i, ABC is 720p. Fox is only recently starting to broadcast HDTV (they were upsampling to EDTV before?). Don't know the res. Also not sure about WB and UPN.

--
David

Do you know if thats nation wide? I'm in Southern NH (Boston is about 45 miles away) so most likely if my HD recordings are in 1080... I'm gona need a new proc/mobo... anyone running a 3ghz H/T P4?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote

unreal33 wrote:
- I was just playing with some HD caps on my main rig xp2500 / fx5200 XP box, I'm able to play HD clips from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx
what i'm finding brought up a few questions - maybe someone can help. My xp2500 strungles a bit with the 1080i playback but handles the 720 with out much problem - So i'm guessing this means the same thing for my Mythbox?

You can't compare MPEG2 HD decoding to Windows Media HD decoding. Windows Media HD requires more CPU power. If your CPU almost handles WMV HD it will handle MPEG2 HD 1080i.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:04 am Reply with quote
unreal33

Anonymous wrote:
unreal33 wrote:
what i'm finding brought up a few questions - maybe someone can help. My xp2500 strungles a bit with the 1080i playback but handles the 720 with out much problem - So i'm guessing this means the same thing for my Mythbox?

You can't compare MPEG2 HD decoding to Windows Media HD decoding. Windows Media HD requires more CPU power. If your CPU almost handles WMV HD it will handle MPEG2 HD 1080i.

Well now I'm even more confused - I wasn't playing the clips with WMP... I was using winamp, but since their a .wmv extension... I'm guessing that doesn't matter... Well, this is what I've found in relation to cpu usage on my barton 2500...

Divx playback (about 700 megs in size, dvd backup) cpu ran anywhere from 5-30 percent depending on divx quality

HD Matrix tailer - from http://progressive.warnerbros.com/thematrix/us/med/rev_theatre_0x10383910_1024_dl.zip
- not sure of what resolution that is, but playback of that clip has my cpu between 40-50%

Abc 720p HD clip from Wilsonet - cpu @ 50-60%

Cbs 1080i HD clip from Wilsonet - cpu @ 60-70%
-Also during playback of this clip I get some funny hozintal distortion when I expand the window size, but looks fine when the playback window is made a little smaller... Any I guess all I can do is get the system build and see what it can handle, time to order my hd3000!

Can someone suggest an cap.card for my analog needs? I'd like to stay on the cheaper side if at all possible to save money for a bigger harddrive...

Thanks again guys

[/url]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

unreal33 wrote:
[Do you know if thats nation wide? I'm in Southern NH (Boston is about 45 miles away) so most likely if my HD recordings are in 1080...

There are some isolated cases of stations converting the format they get from the network to something else (one ABC station was converting 720p to 1080i) but this is very unusual.
debating the hd3000
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics