pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> How Do I Connect HD3000 To My HDTV Monitor?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
How Do I Connect HD3000 To My HDTV Monitor?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote

Hi all, I have the HD3000 working correctly, and can record and view recorded shows on my Linux PC. Now the next step is connecting this Linux box, or a new one maybe in a Shuttle case, to my HD monitor. How exactly do I do this?

I have a Mits 55411 55" rear projection CRT out in the living room with a Sony HD200 set top box. And my Linux PC uses the HD3000 with a Nvidia FX5700 video card. While the FX5700 has a DVI out jack, my Mits TV doesn't support this feature, so I have to use component video.

I have a cable from years ago, that goes from VGA to (5) BNC connectors. R,G,B,H,V sync. And I have some BNC to RCA adapters. Can I just hook the RGB cables to the component input on the TV? The big question is, can I break anything by doing this? Can I force xine or mplayer to upconvert everything to 1080i? I don't know how to do this.

And of course my TV is old enough that it doesn't support 720p directly.

Appreciate your thoughts on the matter,
Al Rovner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
dcarr178

I tried a number of things to get my VGA out to convert into component video. Warning: a cable like this one http://www.colamco.com/store/product/detail.aspx?product=31725 does not work! I ended up buying a converter from Audio Authority http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/9a60detc.html which is pricey but worked like a charm the first time with no configuration needed at all.
Ditto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote

I just spent the last 3 or 4 days researching this, and I came up with the same solution as the above post - the adapter from audio authority.

Check out this excellent article from Jarod Wilson: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys, this is very useful info. I was afraid it would be difficult/expensive. More reading needed.....

Thanks again,
Al Rovner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
iwantmyhdtv

I've used an RCA DTC-100 conversion box for several years. I bought it for a little bit under $100. It takes a VGA D-SUB input and color converts it to component video.

If your TV supports RGB mode (some Sony's do, at least), then a simple cable is all you need, no conversion necessary.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
iwantmyhdtv

iwantmyhdtv wrote:
I've used an RCA DTC-100 conversion box for several years.

I misspoke. The box is a VHDC-300. It was marketed as an accessory to the DTC100 (which is a satellite receiver).
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
SigTom

I have a Mitsu WS55413 55" w/DVI, but while I could get picture with the DVI, could never get it working correctly. So I ended up getting the Audio Authority device mentioned on Jared's howto and in the above posts. Dropped Jared's modeline into my X server config and works great. Able to get picture, nice and fits my TV almost perfectly, need some fine tuning.
GrandTec here
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:19 am Reply with quote
RocketRay

I got a Grandtec HiVision 2-VGA to HDTV Converter which works great. It does component video out, which is what my HDTV has for input. It was $150 though.
Where can I get the modeline?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quote
rab45

Where can I get the correct modeline? I have the RCA VGA to component adapter but have never gotten a 1080i output to work correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
pfile

http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/linux-htpc/video_card_configuration.html

rab45 wrote:
Where can I get the correct modeline? I have the RCA VGA to component adapter but have never gotten a 1080i output to work correctly.
How Do I Connect HD3000 To My HDTV Monitor?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics