pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD-3000 and NTSC Cable?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-3000 and NTSC Cable?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
CoolerQ

Hi-

I'm looking into purchasing an HD-3000, but I'm concerned about the comment about cable support in the FAQ. I'm more interested in capturing NTSC (analog) cable broadcasts, not necessarily ATSC ones. Can the NTSC tuner be used to capture from a cable source in the HD-3000?

Is it possible to hook up a terrestrial antenna for HDTV at the same time as a cable source? If not, I'm okay with just using an RF switch from radio shack.

Thanks,
--Quentin
Re: HD-3000 and NTSC Cable?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
TedKotz

I'm actually trying something very similar. The short answer is that the HD-3000 does support NTSC and thus analog cable. You will probaly need to switch between the cable and an antenna for dtv. The long answer is that very few people seem to use the NTSC capabilities, so support for NTSC seems a little harder to come by. Particularly in mythtv. The simplest solution for now is to use a good NTSC card for the cable(maybe PVR250) and the HD-3000 with an antenna. of couse this isn't stopping me from trying to use the HD-3000 for NTSC cable capture. I'm sure in time all the bugs will get worked out.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Hi CoolerQ,

>>Is it possible to hook up a terrestrial antenna for HDTV at the same time as a cable source?

No, it is not possible to connect both cable and an antenna into one card with out some kind of switch. Cable and Broadcast use the same frequency range and the channels would over lap. Assuming you don't want to purchase another capture card or you don't have a second card lying around, then an a/b switch is probably the simplest and cheapest way to go.

>>Can the NTSC tuner be used to capture from a cable source in the HD-3000?

Assuming you're talking about capturing from a non-encrypted cable source (aka settop box, or non encrypted channels) then yes the hd-3000 can capture ntsc cable. If your talking about encrypted analog cable then no.

And for TedKotz
>>The long answer is that very few people seem to use the NTSC capabilities, so support for NTSC seems a little harder to come by.

Actually, NTSC is very well supported. You don't even need any fancy programs. I do my captures with mplayer and cron. The reason mythtv doesn't seem to have much support is because it's geared towards stand-alone settop boxes. Most people building mythtv boxes use their old computers that had slower processors. It requires a decent amount of processing power to capture, compress, decompress and play all at the same time, which is what mythtv does so you can pause your live tv programs. The PVR family of cards does the capture/compress part in hardware which is what makes them so popular.

Rock on Very Happy,
R.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

How do you capture NTSC with mplayer?
HD-3000 and NTSC Cable?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics