pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> dtvscan cannot allocate memory with 2.6.21 kernel
dtvscan cannot allocate memory with 2.6.21 kernel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
jhollaba

Hi,

I'm now getting an error when I run dtvscan. It says "cannot allocate memory". If I run dmesg, it says that I should increase the "vmalloc" size.

If I cat /proc/meminfo, I see that the vmalloc appears to be fully allocated (112M out of 114M used). (this is with the 2.6.21 kernel)

Fedora 7 comes with 2.6.21 as the stock kernel (after an update), with an option for a version of 2.6.20 compiled for xen. So, I tried the 2.6.20-xen kernel (without X), and it appears that the vmalloc issue goes away (the /proc/meminfo shows vmalloc at about 20M/114M or so...) and I was able to do a dtvscan (I didn't pick up any channels, but I guess that's another story...) So, there must be some module that's behaving badly in the 2.6.21 kernel. It may or may not be related to the HD5500 drivers.

The problem with the 2.6.20-xen kernel is that nvidia drivers don't support "xen" for some reason, so I can't use that as my solution. (The nvidia installer tells me they don't support xen).

I'm at work right now, so I don't have the exact error messages, but I'll post them later tonight when I get home. Any ideas as to the best way of finding out which module is behaving badly in 2.6.21?

James
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

Running out of vmalloc space sounds like a bug in the kernel somewhere. It could be the nvidia driver that is doing it. You could try booting without loading the nvidia driver and check /proc/meminfo. Start X, check meminfo. Load cx88 driver, check meminfo. etc. See if you can narrow down what is using all your memory for 2.6.21.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

It appears this might be a bug in the core kernel.

see, e.g.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/30/350
dtvscan cannot allocate memory with 2.6.21 kernel
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup