pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Horrible Interlacing in analog NTSC capture
Horrible Interlacing in analog NTSC capture
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
NicholasAZ

I've tried watching analog NTSC cable, but the interlacing is so bad it's almost unwatchable.

It happens when any object moves on the screen in front of the background.. It's like it goes through a mozzarella cheese shreeder....

Someone please tell me how to fix this... It's so bad I'm thinking about returning the card for something that captures analog TV respectably well...

I've tried xawtv but it kind of sucks as far as options go, so then I used mplayer. Here is the command I use:

Code:
mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:chanlist=us-cable:alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1: audiorate=48000:forceaudio:volume=100:immediatemode=0: buffersize=16:norm=NTSC-M

I've tried doing post processing to get rid of the horrible motion-based interlacing, with a little bit success, but it uses up 80% of my CPU!!! Just to get it looking respectable... and with post processing it reduces overall information, so it's not ideal..

Code:
 mplayer -vf eq2,spp=6,hqdn3d,pp=l5

If you want I can take a screenshot of the interlacing/striping, whatever to call it, and post it to google picasa or something... But I think alot of people here probably know what I'm talking about.

So please, someone familiar with this issue please help me!! I am so sad right now with bad analogue TV... Sad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

It has nothing to do with the card, that's just how analog tv is. Try a deinterlacing filter, like yadif. tvtime also has a bunch of de-interlacing filters.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
NicholasAZ

xyzzy wrote:
It has nothing to do with the card, that's just how analog tv is. Try a deinterlacing filter, like yadif. tvtime also has a bunch of de-interlacing filters.

Thanks alot !!! yadif works awesomely... I tried tvtime (thanks again), but although it deinterlaces, it doesn't denoise, so there's alot of noisey things. Previously I was using the pp=l5 deinterlacer, which was described as a low pass deinterlacing filter... Didn't work well. Yadif is superb.

Code:
       yadif=[mode[:field_dominance]]
              Yet another deinterlacing filter
                 <mode>
                      0: Output 1 frame for each frame.
                      1: Output 1 frame for each field.
                      2: Like 0 but skips spatial interlacing check.
                      3: Like 1 but skips spatial interlacing check.
                 <field_dominance>
                      Operates like tfields.

I use 0, because any other option sends my cpu to 100%, and 0 only uses 16%. (3Ghz Core 2 duo, 2MB cache)...

I also stopped using hqdn3d and now I use denoise3d, which uses less cpu..

so this is my mplayer command and it works great!! Looks like a regular TV finally!! High powered CPU reccomended.

Code:
mplayer -vf eq2,spp=6,denoise3d,yadif=0 tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:chanlist=us-cable: alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1:audiorate=48000:forceaudio:volume=100:immediatemode=0: buffersize=16:norm=NTSC-M
Horrible Interlacing in analog NTSC capture
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup