pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HOWTO: NTSC & QAM working under MythTV with pcHDTV 5500
HOWTO: NTSC & QAM working under MythTV with pcHDTV 5500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
timbuk3

I have a setup with dual pcHDTV 5500 cards. I'm running Fedora Core 6 with the 2.6.20 kernel and MythTV 0.20. FC6 is a stock install. So is Myth. I have comcast extended basic cable (Ch. 2-77) with no cable box. Berkeley, CA.

It took me FOREVER to get NTSC and QAM working simultaneously so I thought I'd post my final solution to save others the trouble. You'll need a working internet connection and MySQL. Hopefully you'll at least find some clues in here.

1. I dropped my mythconverg database and then recreated it with:
    Code:
    mysql -u root -p  < /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql

2. I opened mythtv-setup and under general, I set the recording type to ATSC

3. Under capture cards I used the DVB capture card setting for card type and for both cards and I made sure to click the 'analog options' button. Ensure DVB Card 0 is set to use /dev/video0 and if you have a DVB Card 1 it should be set to /dev/video1 under the analog options.

4. I also made sure to enable 'open DVB card on demand' under the recording options button.

5. Under video sources I used two separate Zap2It lineups. One using an analog cable line up and one using a digital lineup.

6. Under input connections, I opened DVB 0 and set it to use the digital zap2it lineup. Then I tuned the QAM-256 channels using the cable frequency. The first couple times I got discouraged when the channels were all timing out. I didn't know that all the QAM channels were in the 96-116 range. Be patient and let the scan run to completion. Then click the fetch listings button. You only need to scan with one card. If you have another card, just set the DVB 1 input to use the digital lineup.

7. Under the input connections for DVB 0, chose the V4L input you'd like to use. Set it to use the Zap2It analog lineup. DO NOT scan! just set the lineup, click the fetch listings button, and get out. Repeat for the second card if you have one.

8. Exit out, start mythbackend, then run mythfilldatabase

9. In mythfrontend I had to change the Live TV Recording profile to use 48000 instead of 32000 for the NTSC audio to sound right.

10. Move on to the next step... e.g, match up the QAM channels, get the remote working, set up recordings, get the 1080p output on my frontend scaled properly, fix the program guide slowness (probably icons), yada yada... not sure I knew quite what I was getting into here and I'm the type that spends half my time coding. Still the whole setup will be worth it at some point.

I hope that helps
Re: HOWTO: NTSC & QAM working under MythTV with pcHDTV 5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
tekknogenius

timbuk3 wrote:
    10. Move on to the next step... e.g, match up the QAM channels, get the remote working, set up recordings, get the 1080p output on my frontend scaled properly, fix the program guide slowness (probably icons), yada yada... not sure I knew quite what I was getting into here and I'm the type that spends half my time coding. Still the whole setup will be worth it at some point.

How does one match up the QAM channels and get the remote working?

Thanx
Remote Port
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
dave

To get the remote working try:

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1529

I almost got mine working.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
djseto

What are you doing about NTSC audio? I keep getting an analog audio conflict. For example:

Two Tuner Setup
Tuner 1: Watching HD programming (QAM or ATSC)
Tuner 2: Recording "Scrubs" in analog (NTSC)

If I change Tuner 1 to watch "The Simpsons" (NTSC), I get the analog audio from The Simpson and Scrubs. If I change Tuner 1 back to HD programming, I get HD audio. If I change Tuner 1 to another analog channel, I still get the audio from Scrubs AND whatever I have on Tuner 1. Ironically, the audio will play from scrubs while it records, but the recording video has no audio. Either way, I am finding that when you change from HD to Analog tuning, the card will switch outputs so you can watch the appropriate show, but while its playing/capturing HD, its still capturing/playing analog too.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
fuchur

Thanks for that howto. Note that in addition, I had to do the following:

1. Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
options cx88-alsa index=-2,-2

(to prevent the pchdtv become my default soundcard

2. Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/dvb-core:
options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0

(To avoid terrible noises when tuning. Both hints found in another post here -thanks!)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
infoteq

timbuk3 wrote:
3. Under capture cards I used the DVB capture card setting for card type and for both cards and I made sure to click the 'analog options' button. Ensure DVB Card 0 is set to use /dev/video0 and if you have a DVB Card 1 it should be set to /dev/video1 under the analog options.

Wow, this turned out to be a seriously important nugget. I was using the PCHDTV device. Why this exists puzzles me, but then so do a lot of things.

timbuk3 wrote:

5. Under video sources I used two separate Zap2It lineups. One using an analog cable line up and one using a digital lineup.

6. Under input connections, I opened DVB 0 and set it to use the digital zap2it lineup. Then I tuned the QAM-256 channels using the cable frequency. The first couple times I got discouraged when the channels were all timing out. I didn't know that all the QAM channels were in the 96-116 range. Be patient and let the scan run to completion. Then click the fetch listings button. You only need to scan with one card. If you have another card, just set the DVB 1 input to use the digital lineup.

7. Under the input connections for DVB 0, chose the V4L input you'd like to use. Set it to use the Zap2It analog lineup. DO NOT scan! just set the lineup, click the fetch listings button, and get out. Repeat for the second card if you have one.

This part doesn't make sense to me. I click Fetch Listings and it pauses for a moment and then nothing appears to happen. When I try to exit out, it complains that I don't have a channel 3 defined.

Thanks for your help up to this point, I've certainly made significant progress with your information.

-Infoteq
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

First, zap2it doesn't exist anymore. You need to have an account with the non-free Schedules Direct.

You also still need to scan for channels. This will then fill out the line for the first channel to tune to.

If you don't want to pay for the guide data, don't worry. You can still watch and record TV. you just have to manually schedule recordings. ATSC broadcasts (USA) have some program data in the broadcast stream. You should be able to enable this by choosing EIT data in the guide set up.

I said "should be able to", because this has been broken for some time now, and the developers seem to be in no hurry to fix it. The same developers also are running the non-free Schedules Direct guide feed. It makes one wonder.

It can be fixed if you compile MythTV yourself.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
infoteq

waterhead wrote:
First, zap2it doesn't exist anymore. You need to have an account with the non-free Schedules Direct.

Yeah, I figured that one out and got a Schedules Direct trial account.

waterhead wrote:

You also still need to scan for channels. This will then fill out the line for the first channel to tune to.

Thanks. Scanning for the SD channels worked and I got everything except Cox's digital cable channels. I'm guessing these are encrypted somehow, but perhaps I've done something else wrong.

I went through and defined all the channels, that took awhile. Now I'm having another strange problem. I can get audio just fine with the HD channels, but no sound at all in the SD channels.

I tried to blacklist cx88-alsa, which appears to be the name of the module file in FC8, but that didn't change anything.

I don't have an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base or dvb-core so those instructions don't help me much.

I'm also experiencing some other odd behavior. If I watch a DivX video and then try to watch tv, the image is scrambled, though I get sound fine. Then if I go back to watch another video, it is scrambled too.

-Infoteq
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Scanning for digital channels is separate from the analog, as it uses a different tuner. Same card, just a different tuner.

Go into mythtv-setup. In the Channel Editor section, go to the video source line and select the digital source that you set up in the previous sections, then run a full scan.

If you haven't set up a digital source, do that first.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
infoteq

I think I should clarify. When I said digital channels, I didn't me the HighDef channels that you can get with QAM. Cox Cable has a selection of channels they created in excess of the 120 channel limit and conveniently requiring you to get a STB. My suspicion is that they're encrypted in some way.

-Infoteq
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

And I would like to clarify.

Not all digital channels are High Definition, but all HD channels are digital. There are some digital channels that broadcast a SD picture.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
sdlnxgk

I'm having the exact same issues !!!!

is there an easy fix for the sound ???

also how many channels should we be able to get???

Schedules Direct only gives you a listing to what channels you scan and can find via your tuner correct?? Even using Schedules Direct I get allot of unknowns that don't work maybe I have like 15 channels if i'm lucky couple of them are HD and work pefect but can't get regular SD programing digital channels like 200 and above or audio only channels..

waterhead wrote:

Thanks. Scanning for the SD channels worked and I got everything except Cox's digital cable channels. I'm guessing these are encrypted somehow, but perhaps I've done something else wrong.

I went through and defined all the channels, that took awhile. Now I'm having another strange problem. I can get audio just fine with the HD channels, but no sound at all in the SD channels.

I tried to blacklist cx88-alsa, which appears to be the name of the module file in FC8, but that didn't change anything.

I don't have an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base or dvb-core so those instructions don't help me much.

I'm also experiencing some other odd behavior. If I watch a DivX video and then try to watch tv, the image is scrambled, though I get sound fine. Then if I go back to watch another video, it is scrambled too.

-Infoteq[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HOWTO: NTSC & QAM working under MythTV with pcHDTV 5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup