pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Solution to multiple tuners problems
Solution to multiple tuners problems
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
kshots

I'm noting a path to a solution to the multiple tuners problems I'm noting lots of people talking about and nobody resolving. The solution looks to reside in the udev rules system. Basically, you match the device using a set of rules, and the rule will create a symlink to that particular kind of device for you. For example, a device using the cx8800 module will be mapped to /dev/video0 one day and another day it will be mapped to /dev/video48 (a gross exaggeration), and you have other devices (say ivtv) mapped to other portions, which are all using different listings. A nightmare, right?

Well, how about mapping all devices using the cx8800 module to /dev/v4l/cxvideo0 (or higher), and all devices using the ivtv module to /dev/v4l/ivtvvideo0 (or higher)? You then point your mythtv config (or whatever you're using) to that symlink, and it will always then use that device.

Here's the docs on how to accomplish such a thing. I'll put the specific rules for a similar case as an example later (after I try it)... assuming no-one gets real excited and beats me to the punch with this info Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
kshots

Looks like another site beat me to it. Personally, I used the following in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-video.rules:
Code:
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", SYSFS{name}=="cx88*", SYMLINK+="video-hd5500"
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", SYSFS{name}=="cx180*", SYMLINK+="video-hvr1600"
This provides me with a /dev/video-hd5500 and /dev/video-hvr1600 that is always consistent to the right devices. Note that I had to use wildcards in the names... the referenced site suggests this is due to udev not dealing with spaces (odd...). Anyways, Enjoy...

EDIT: updated link

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup