pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Can't get cable to work
Can't get cable to work
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
faded1

I installed a hd5500 into my machine. I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out why I can't get my analog cable to work.

I am able to pick up a couple ATSC channels when I have my HD antenna plugged in. I can't get anything reasonable to come up when I plug in the cable though. The DVB-ATSC tools that pcHDTV sent can't find anything below channel 68 (which happens the last channel my cable company offers in analog). It picks up garbage past channel 68... if I try to watch these it just crashes MythTV.

Can someone give me a Step by Step how to get this to work? I'm unable to find explicit directions anywhere.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
BGD

To get analog cable working you need to setup your HD5500 in Myth using the generic DVB w/v4l driver or the generic v4l driver. Using the pcHDTV HD-5500 driver will only work for ATSC signals.

Try reading this from the Myth TV wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PcHDTV_HD-5500

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to select the us-cable frequency table when you setting up the card.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
faded1

OK I got the NTSCvideo working now, thanks!

I don't have sound though... any ideas? I have the sound output from the 5500 going to my sound card's line in. I checked in alsamixer and nothing is muted and I have everything turned up to 3/4 volume... Mad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
faded1

Nm I figured it out. I had to set LINE in alsamixer as a capture, not a playback.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
BGD

faded1 wrote:
Nm I figured it out. I had to set LINE in alsamixer as a capture, not a playback.

With the 5500 and 3000 you don't have to use the loop back cable into a sound card if you don't want to. Audio can be processed directly from the tuner. You do need to set the sounds sampling to 48K on both the frontend and backend though for a decent playback. The loop back cable cannot be connect either. Might be something you want to try.
Can't get cable to work
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup