pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> How Do You Get Audio While Using The S-Video Input???
How Do You Get Audio While Using The S-Video Input???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Rhian

My pcHDTV-5500 is relatively new, and has the audio chip enabled. The cx88-alsa device is loaded and configured as the second sound card, and I have the card's analog audio device set to /dev/dsp1. I have the audio output of the STB going into the audio input of the 5500.

STILL I have nothing but VERY LOUD static when I select the S-video input. I know there is good audio coming in on the input, as I can plug the cable into a different computer and get audio.

Is my pcHDTV-5500 just broken???

Does anybody have this working?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Don't you have to connect the audio out from the HD-5500 to the audio input of your sound card?

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote
Rhian

waterhead wrote:
Don't you have to connect the audio out from the HD-5500 to the audio input of your sound card?

My understanding is that if the card has the audio chip enabled, you should not need to use the sound card loop.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

Rhian wrote:
waterhead wrote:

My understanding is that if the card has the audio chip enabled, you should not need to use the sound card loop.

You can only record audio from the tuner, not the card's audio input. The audio input is just a pass through to the audio output.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Rhian

xyzzy wrote:
You can only record audio from the tuner, not the card's audio input. The audio input is just a pass through to the audio output.

Ah, ok... That's very unfortunate, since I find that if I have it set up like that, if I watch live TV for instance, then stop the frontend, I still get the STB audio coming out of my speakers Sad

Anyone know a way to make it mute the audio when you leave the video?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
Rhian

Hmmm - now that I think about it, this kind of makes the on-board audio chip useless, if you want to be able to use the S-video and/or composite inputs... You need to configure the card to use /dev/dsp1 to be able to record from the tuner, but if you do that, you will get nothing but static when recording from S-vid or composite. The only way to make it all work is to use the sound card loop, and configure the card to use /dev/dsp. Or am I still missing something here?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
stevektm125

Does the HD-5500 have a physical composite-in jack?

The specs list only the s-video and audio jacks and the photo of the card doesn't seem to show a composite.

Is there a cable off the board or something?

I want to capture composite video/audio. I know that function has nothing to do with the HD capabilities of the card.

Sorry for the diversion from the topic of the thread.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
stevektm125

Answered my own question when I bought a used HD-5500. It came with a Y-cable including a composite jack. Now I just have to starting fighting this audio stuff.
How Do You Get Audio While Using The S-Video Input???
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup