pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HD5500 - sound - Intel 975XBX - Sigmatel - Fedora 7
HD5500 - sound - Intel 975XBX - Sigmatel - Fedora 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
AndyL

I've been having a heck of a time getting this HD5500 to work.
I've got tvtime working but with no sound.
I've not gotten a digital picture yet, but I have managed to get a signal a couple of times. I currently have it hooked to a qam cable system and am getting the atsc signals into tvtime.

Sigmatel 9221 or the Sigmatel 9220 audio codec
Intel 82801G I/O Controller Hub (ICH7-R/ICH7-DH)

I have fiddled extensively with the alsa mixer and sound controller.
I've got the output from the HD5500 plugged into the line in of the onboard sound.
It appears the intel port is programmable as either an input or an output but I can't seem to find a way to control it under linux. The line in doubles as a surround out port.
I can get sound under the sound preference tests
(system-preferences-hardware-sound) with everything but the sound capture.
I think I've got all the mixer tracks enabled.
I have three devices listed:
HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
PCM
front
surround
center
LFE
Capture
Mux
Conexant CX8801 (Alsa mixer)
capture
SigmaTel STAC9221D A2( OSS Mixer)
volume
in-gain

if I try to adjust the volume in tvtime, the volume just stays pegged at zero.
I've tried unmuting everything.
Under the Audio Configuration, the intel sound test works. The CX8801 sound test does not. There is a digital and analog setting for the intel. I'm using the analog.
The CX8801 has a CX88 Digital listed only.
If I try to change much in the Audio Configuration, the setup just gets messed up and not everything gets listed again (I think this is a fedora bug).
ALSA driver version: 1.0.14rc3
ALSA lib package: also-lib-1.0.14-0.4.rc3.fc7
ALSA Utils pacakges: alsa-utils-1.0.14.0.7.rc2.fc7

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82975X Memory Controller Hub
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82975X PCI Express Root Port
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 01)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
05:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
05:02.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
05:02.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
05:02.4 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [IR Port] (rev 05)
05:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
05:05.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3114 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

cat modprobe.conf
alias eth0 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sil
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter2 usb-storage
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack

I haven't tried setting the intel ports up under windows and then coming back into linux. I also don't know if I'm actually getting an audio output at all from the HD5500. I don't think I've managed to hear anything from it yet.

I could use an answer but I'd settle for a good hint or two.
I used the stock driver with fedora 7 for the HD5500.
I haven't gotten too far with xine-hd yet. It runs but the playback on the test file from the website was pretty bad. Come to think of it, I had some sound when playing back that file. That was a few installs ago now. I don't know if that was going through the hd5500 or not since it was a file playback. No reason for it to be a bad playback though. This computer should be screaming. I have a NVIDIA video card and that apparently has its own list of issues. I figured I'd tackle the sound issue initially.

I guess maybe I should try making sure the card works under windows first?
At least prove out the HD5500 hardware? (I think I tried that once too without much luck).

I saw some discussions of some way to get the audio off the HD5500 directly without going through the dongle? There was a small program written to twiddle some eeprom bits? It wasn't clear if that was for an HD5500 or and HD3000. Is there a way to do this? Maybe I could avoid the intel integrated sound entirely?

I know just enough linux to be dangerous. I'm learning.
Thanks in advance,
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
AndyL

The biggest problem here is that the INTEL Sigmatel integrated sound for the 975XBX is not yet supported by Linux. You can set things up under windows and reboot and it will work till a bit floats back. It isn't a reliable method of operation.
I got around this by installing a Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card into the second PCI slot on this motherboard and disabled the onboard sound system (to bad too).
I plugged the output of the HD-5500 into the soundblaster line in.
I selected the Creative audio device (CA0106 PCM) under system-administration-sound card detection.
Under system-preferences-hardware control-volume control, edit-preferences, select line in, analog front, capture feedback.
Right click on the volume control icon in the upper right corner and select properties then highlight analog front.
You have to make sure IEC958 is OFF. There is a checkbox for it if you select the iec options when setting preferences in the hardware control-volume control. You have to tab to it. You do not want the box checked.
I haven't tried it yet, but the system sees a CX8801 soundcard. I assume this is the HD-5500. It might work for the sound from the hd-5500 card directly. I'm a bit tired of messing with it at the moment. If I get the rest working, I will go back and try it. I still need sound for the rest of the system though.

I at least have sound now.
I can run tvtime on the card (QAM cable and some over the air stuff). The volume control within tvtime doesn't tie into things, but the sound control in the corner works.
I can't get the dvbscan to see anything however. Can't explain that one yet as tvtime is picking at least 3 channels up from broadcast. I don't know if those are NTSC or ATSC though.
I also managed to play in the tst.ts file at one point I think in Kaffeine without issue but I couldn't get Kaffeine to work properly with the HD5500 card.
Is this enough functionality so far to at least tell me if my card is ok?
I'd hate to keep kicking myself and have a flaky card instead.

I haven't for the life of me managed to get xine-hd to compile on fedora 8 (or 7).
I have found rpms for xine and managed to get xine to run, but not with the HD500 and certainly not with any of the hd patches.
Has anyone managed to get Fedora 8 to work with this card yet in HD?
HOW?
Do you start with fedora 6 (or older) and just upgrade linux?

Also in case anyone wants to know, it is apparent that FreeBSD does not support the HD-5500.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup