pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Only noise/clicking/chuffing sound from ATSC channels
Only noise/clicking/chuffing sound from ATSC channels
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
dsegel

I'm running MythTV 0.21-fixes on a Gentoo system with a 2.6.24-gentoo-r4 kernel. I have video from the HD-5500 working fine, and MythTV can play back stuff I recorded with a PVR-350 fine, but when I try to view an ATSC channel Live TV or a show recorded off of an ATSC channel I just hear a chuffing sound, like a noisy fan.

MythTV is using the DVB driver for the HD-5500. There are no audio options in mythtv-setup (remember this is for ATSC channels only - I'm not even trying to tune NTSC).

Sound is from ALSA in the kernel. It works fine otherwise - I can play music with mpg123, and MythTV plays my shows recorded off the PVR-350 fine.

I'm assuming this is just an audio misconfiguration, but I can't find where I might be able to change things. Any ideas? Any other things I can test?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
dsegel

I ended up trying Mythbuntu instead of Gentoo and everything is working fine unless I turn on AC3 or DTS passthrough, in which case I get the symptoms described above. I believe this is a MythTV issue, however.
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
jason52

Sounds like it depends on your setup. ATSC seems to have AC3 streams (haven't actually researched it), so unless you're using an optical output to a receiver, you'll probably get weird results like you describe with AC3 passthrough on.
I prefer using it so I can get Dolby Digital surround sound when watching HD.
Only noise/clicking/chuffing sound from ATSC channels
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup