pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> NO sound on analog
NO sound on analog
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
firekool

I got this card because It had duel inputs both analog and also digital.

I am not very savvy in the audio video world. However my cable provider told me that channels 1-99 come across as analog if I do not use my cable box. I tested the signal on a TV and it works fine. However when I plug it into the TV tuner using mythbuntu version 8.04. I run though the setup for it to be a analog tv tuner. I get no sound. I get picture just fine on all the channels but no sound.

However when I set it up as Digital. I get picture and sound sometimes the sound is a bit choppy but I do get sound. However I only get the HD channels I set that up as QAM 256 on US-cable. I have comcast in SLC utah.

I would like to do one of two things. Set it up so that my TV tuner card will control my cablebox. This would be the best senerio that way I get the best picture and the best audio. Or I would like the analog signal to pick up the audio. I need some help doing so.

If you need anymore info I would be happy to oblige.
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I don't have a 5500, only the older 3000 card. On mine there is an audio cable that you run from the audio output of the 5500 to the audio input of your sound card.

I know that there is a way to do this without the cable, but I don't know the details. I'll look through some old posts and see if I can find anything, you could search too.

MythTV can control a cable box as long as you have an infrared blaster. Here is the section of the MythTV Wiki concerning that:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV

The MythTV Wiki has a ton of info that is essential for new users.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

MythTV Wiki to the rescue again, although this one is tough to find. It isn't listed in any of the indexes.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_TV_audio#Driver_Configuration

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Lost
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
firekool

I thought I would reinstall my mythbuntu system due to I did have a previous TV tuner in there.

Thank you for the instructions.

Reinstalling mythbuntu did not work.

I changed the audio settings to sample 4800hz
However it is poor audio quality. It sounds as if it echos and there is a buzzing sound. I read a bit and it looks like it is common for this TV tuner.

I would like to get rid of it.

Also it had issues when switching from digital to analog first it went into picture and picture I don't like that. In addition to that it destroyed the analog sound.
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

The pcHDTV line of cards are really for digital and HD broadcasts. I don't know why they even include an analog tuner on the card.

If you bought it without intending to use it for it's primary purpose, you wasted your money. Since I don't watch any analog broadcasts, I never bothered to try and set the analog tuner up. Besides, I read about what a PITA it is to set up. There are many analog only cards that would be better suited for this.

With analog broadcasts going bye-bye in less than a year, and cable to follow in about five years, it's time to dump analog.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Agreed
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
firekool

I agree. I would honestly like to use digital however the majority of my channels only come across as analog due to I am not using the cablebox. If I can use the cablebox that would be great but I don't know if the IR blaster will be able to work well with it.

I have there less expensive smaller cable box. I belive it is a macrovision I would have to check.
I am thinking of getting.
This remote

However I am not sure that it's IR blaster will be able to change my cablebox channels.

However if there is a way to fix it so that analog works I would like that. I do have another tv tuner that is a wintv but it is broken and a new one is expensive.

Also in febuary next year are all channels cable or not going to switch. CableTV could keep broadcasting analog. The reason for the change was meant for the over the air channels. To free up some frequency.
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Whether a cable provider continues to offer analog channels is purely up to the cable provider. Their only restriction is if they offer any analog channels at all, then they must also offer the locals in analog too. At least until February 17, 2012.
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq25

I'm sure that they will continue analog for a while. I can see where it may become an extra package, where you would have to pay extra for it.

For a more active forum on Linux HTPC, I would recommend the AVS-Linux HTPC Forums. There you can find a whole bunch of Linux users eager to help you.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

As for the remote that you linked to. I am using one just like that with Mythbuntu. There are several versions that look similar. Mine is Model #1039 (on back of remote), it works great! Looks like a pretty good price too.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
IR Blaster
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
firekool

I just checked the exact model it is a Macrovision DC1700. For my cable box. I was just wondering were I could look to see if I would be able to configure this cablebox with the Remote I am planning on getting.
NO sound on analog
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup