pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Black Screen & MythTV Freeze
Black Screen & MythTV Freeze
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
stewart

I am using Mythbuntu 8.04 i386 with the latest mythtv packages from apt (.21?). My system is a combined backend/frontend with a P4 3.2GHz, 1GB PC400 DDR, pcHDTV-5500, nVidia GeForce Fx5600, Creative Labs Audigy 2. I only have 1 encoder and video source defined, and I am using the dvb driver.

I just installed the pcHDTV yesterday which replaces my pvr-150. I have tried v4l analog drivers and dvb drivers, both with broadcast (ntsc/vsb_8) and cable (ntsc/qam-256). In all cases the card accurately scans for channels. Analog video is very poor (completely unwatchable) and no sound (using cable from pchdtv out to sound blaster in). When I try to view digital tv, either over-the-air or from comcast cable only channel 2 (KATU) works. If I attempt to change the channel the screen goes black and MythTV completely locks up. I can open a new console or restart x but mythtv will not respond to the keyboard or remote control. When I restart mythtv and attempt to watch live tv again, the channel was saved and it locks up again before i have the chance to change the channel.

My symptoms are exactly as in this previous thread http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508 from 2005. There was never a cause found. I am using an dvb, a debian os, agp graphics with 1 slot between the video card and encoder card, but my system is not 64-bit.

Today I will get the remaining parts for my new MythTV build (GeForce 8200, AMD Phenon X4, 4GB PC1066 DDR2, 1TB SATA2, 550w PSU). I will be installing Mytbuntu 8.04 AMD-64 and just copying my db and recordings to the new disk. So this whole thing may be a moot point, but I was trying to fix any kinks before starting on the new build.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

When viewing HDTV in MythTV, you need to use XvMC as the MPEG decoder. This is done in the TV Settings>Playback section. I use Bob deinterlacing too.

To enable XvMC on your PC, read through this How-To:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
stewart

waterhead wrote:
When viewing HDTV in MythTV, you need to use XvMC as the MPEG decoder. This is done in the TV Settings>Playback section. I use Bob deinterlacing too.

To enable XvMC on your PC, read through this How-To:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

Thanks, I will try this when I get home. Is XvMC always a requirement to view HD content, or just with slower processors to offload the video rendering to the gpu?

I am pretty sure I can enable XvMC with my current Geforce FX5600, but I remember seeing (i think on that page) that there is not yet support for XvMC with GeForce 8 series, or the GeForce 8200 integrated video chipset. I will be running a quad core cpu, with 1 thread recording and mutliple threads playing, I would think that would suffice without XvMC. I will report back what I find tonight after I complete the upgrade.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
stewart

Quote:
"The 173.14.09 release includes support for the XVideo Motion Compensation (XvMC) version 1.0 API on GeForce 5 series, GeForce 6 series and GeForce 7 series addin cards, as well as motherboard chipsets with integrated graphics that have PureVideo support."
Cool, maybe it will work then. I'll just need to check which version of the driver I have.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I guess you answered your own question.

You may have to tweak the xorg.conf file to get it to work properly. I have a FX 5200 that I can view HD on. Here is my xorg.conf file:
Code:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AIGLX" "on"
    Option        "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier    "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier          "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Unknown"
    ModelName     "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync         30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh       56.0 - 75.0
    Option               "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier         "Videocard0"
    Driver              "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
    Option             "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option             "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option             "NVAGP" "1"
    Option             "UseEvents" "True"
    Option             "ConnectMonitor" "DFP"
    Option             "NoLogo" "0"
    Option             "XvmcUsesTextures" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    Option        "TwinView" "0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite" "Enabled"
EndSection

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
stewart

waterhead wrote:
I guess you answered your own question.

You may have to tweak the xorg.conf file to get it to work properly. I have a FX 5200 that I can view HD on. Here is my xorg.conf file:
Code:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AIGLX" "on"
    Option        "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier    "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier          "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Unknown"
    ModelName     "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync         30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh       56.0 - 75.0
    Option               "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier         "Videocard0"
    Driver              "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
    Option             "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option             "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option             "NVAGP" "1"
    Option             "UseEvents" "True"
    Option             "ConnectMonitor" "DFP"
    Option             "NoLogo" "0"
    Option             "XvmcUsesTextures" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    Option        "TwinView" "0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite" "Enabled"
EndSection

Well, last night I completed my hardware upgrade followed by a clean install of Mythbunutu 8.0.4.1. With the GF 8200 chipset I had to get the drivers from envy to even get to the desktop with nvidia modules. First I tried OTA DTV and it the playback was ok, but there was broken or no audio on most channels, and the reception was pretty poor. I deleted my video sources, plugged in the cable and rescanned my channels. Live TV plays without a hitch now without XvMC, and the reception and sound was good.

Now I have a problem playing back dvd iso's. The sound is all choppy and static but it works fine for live tv and recordings. Maybe this is XvMC related or maybe it's a problem with the AC3 passthrough. I haven't tried a dvd disc yet, it all worked fine on my old setup.

Thanks for your xorg.conf, I will use it as a guide to enable xvmv tonight and see if it helps with my dvd playback issues. The wiki page says to disable the composite extension, is everything working for you with it enabled?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

If cable TV works OK without XvMC, then it is most likely not HD. Cable is known to compress their signals to conserve the bandwith.

My xorg file is for the low end FX cards. Newer nVidia cards will use different settings.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
stewart

waterhead wrote:
If cable TV works OK without XvMC, then it is most likely not HD. Cable is known to compress their signals to conserve the bandwith.

My xorg file is for the low end FX cards. Newer nVidia cards will use different settings.

Playing back live tv, recordings and dvd's was working without XvMC, but I did get it set up because it can't hurt anything to offload some resources to the gpu. The shows that are labeled HDTV, do in fact look better that when those recorded with the pvr-150, but they are probably not true hdtv. Regardless, the system is capable of playing them back, with or without xvmc enabled.

I was having a lot of issues, so i reformatted and installed Mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 32-bit and started with a fresh setup (deleted my old mythconverg db and old recordings). I figured out that the local broadcast schedules from schedules direct supplied more data than the comcast cable or digital cable listings. I only have basic cable and only watch local channels, so using local broadcast for my scheduling data helped a lot, and I was able to get wireless working with ndiswrapper on 32-bit which I couldn't using 64-bit.

This is unrelated to the original thread topic but I cannot for the live of me get audio to work correctly. I have spent countless hours trying to get it set up correctly. I wish I could just put my old Audigy card in there which was working with my last install, but I don't have enough slots on the mATX motherboard in my small htpc case. When I play live tv, recordings, videos or dvd's the sound is very choppy. I am using the aggressive sound buffer settings, alsa:iec958 for output and passthrough and disabled the internal mixer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled alsa and linux-sound-base several times, the card shows up in aplay -l|-L but alsamixer throws an error.

I also can't get mythwelcome, mythshutdown and acpi to work correctly. I am at this point regretting my upgrade in hardware. Since everything worked well before. I may end up just putting the pchdtv and terabyte disk in my old backend and making the computer a frontend only machine with the sound blaster like i had before.

Short story, with the Phenom X4 9550 and Geforce 8200 I can play back sdtv and digital cable with or without xvmc but audio and acpi are not working. I no longer have the issue of the black screen and mythtv locking up.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
waterhead

One thing to check. If the CPU is maxed out, it can give you audio stuttering. I also get audio stuttering using XvMC, when the on-screen-display is showing.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
stewart

I've just taken the pchtdv card out and replaced it with my sound blaster which I was using previously. I re-activated my old back end and I am back to streaming analog tv over my wireless network. Everything works as it did before. My wife was not excited about not having any tv for a few days.

I will eventually try putting the pchdtv in my backend and try playing it back over the network, but my tv is so far from the router I already have intermittent issues with playback of analog tv with ~20% signal strength. Which means I need to have a network jack installed in the living room.

Since I ran into so many problems with suspend/restore, mythwelcome/mythshutdown, wake on lan, monitor not initializing if the computer was booted without the tv and receiver on, etc. I quickly became opposed to the combined backend/frontend roles. Once I get the frontend and backend hard wired on the gigabit ethernet then I'm sure everything will work as I want it too.

I think my chipset is just too new to be well supported by the alsa and acpi teams.
Black Screen & MythTV Freeze
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup