pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> MythTV 0.22 Correct Capture Card Configuration
MythTV 0.22 Correct Capture Card Configuration
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
wgkorb

I have a new Myth backend with a single 5500 tuner installed, and I am having a problem. Per the MythTV wiki page for the 5500, I have configured it as a DVB card. After doing so, I am easily able to tune all of my available digital channels coming in on my QAM-256 cable. However, I have seen multiple references to my tuner's "analog settings", even a mention of an "analog button". I see no such button in the myth backend setup capture card screen or anywhere else, for that matter. I was able to add the analog tuner as a second capture card and configure it as v4l, but I don't think that is correct (how would myth know that both tuners are the same card, and only one can be used at a time?).

Here's what my setup screen looks like:

No "analog" settings or button anywhere that I can see.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer.

Bill
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I don't think that the analog button is in the current version of MythTV. I would just try configuring it as a separate tuner. Be aware that if you are using the digital tuner, then the analog tuner will be unavailable. The opposite of this is true, too.

The analog tuner is not of high quality, and you may be better off getting a separate analog card.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
wgkorb

Thanks for the reply.

I posted this same question on the mythtv-users mailing list, and found that I was very close.

The solution is to configure two capture cards: the DVB tuner first, then add a V4L tuner for the analog part. The key is to put them in a single input group - that tells Myth that it can only use one tuner at a time. It is also necessary to have two programming sources, one for the digital, and one for the analog. I suspect that they could, in fact, be the same source from SchedulesDirect (or whatever) but they have to be added as two different sources in myth.

So that's the good news. The bad news is, when I tried my first experiment last night, it crashed the myth backend, and I've not yet deduced the cause of that problem.

Thanks,
Bill
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
wgkorb

Turns out the only problem I had was that my recording and playback audio sample rates were not the same. It even mentions this on the myth wiki 5500 page: set both the record and playback sample rates to 48khz.

Everything's working as it should now - I've managed to schedule both analog and digital recordings, and they've worked without a hitch!

Bill
Need more info on grouping digital & analog tuner in Myt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
dotman

Hello,

Can you please provide more detail as to how to group the digital and analog sections of the HD5500 tuner in the same group during the mythTV setup? I am having trouble finding this specific information and I cannot get the analog portion of my card to show video. I have two capture cards setup, one digital and one analog. I also setup two different sources for directory using the same listing from schedulesdirect. What I don't have is video/sound on any channel below 78. Please provide detailed info.

Thank you in advance,
Darryl
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
wgkorb

I don't know if this is helpful anymore (sorry it took so long to get back to you!). In any case, I'll put this here in case anyone else stumbles across this thread at some point in the future.

So here are the steps to setting up both tuners of the HD5500 when running mythtv-setup:

1. In the "Capture cards" section, select "(New capture card)". Card type is "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)"; DVB Device Number will be 0 (assuming you've only a single card). In the Recording Options settings, check "Open DVB card on demand."

2. Select "(New capture card)" a second time. Card type is "Analogue V4L capture card"; it should sense most of the other fields for you, but they will be /dev/video0 for the video device, /dev/vbi0 for the VBI device, /dev/dsp for the Audio device, and Television for the Default input. Note that the Audio sampling rate limit must be set to 48000 or you will have the same problem I mentioned in another of my posts.

3. Use the "Video sources" section to setup two Video sources - one for your analog SchedulesDirect lineup and one for the digital lineup.

4. Use the "Input connections" section to create two Input connections. The first will be associated with DVB:0 (digitial tuner) and connected to your digital SDo lineup. The second will be V4L:/dev/video0 and connected to your analog lineup. On the second screen of this section is where you associate them both with the same input group. I don't recall the exact steps as to how I did this, but on my DVB:0 input I have Input Group 1 named DVB0, and Input Group 2 named Generic. On the V4L input, I have both of them named Generic.

Well, that should do it. I hope it works for you.

Good luck,
Bill
nice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
james442

The solution is to configure two capture cards: the DVB tuner first, then add a V4L tuner for the analog part. The key is to put them in a single input group - that tells Myth that it can only use one tuner at a time. It is also necessary to have two programming sources, one for the digital, and one for the analog. I suspect that they could, in fact, be the same source from SchedulesDirect (or whatever) but they have to be added as two different sources in myth.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup