pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions -> Does the pcHDTV 5500 card hardware encode NTSC?
Does the pcHDTV 5500 card hardware encode NTSC?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
vodus

Unfortunate answer is that no, it does not. I was duped by this sentence which is on the 5500 page on pchdtv.com
Quote:
The card receives NTSC, ATSC and Cable/QAM Signals and converts them to digital streams which are transported across the PCI bus.

It took me a few days of research after having the card to find the below answer:
http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1465

I'm very happy with how it records ATSC, but the NTSC seems to be basically useless from my point of view. I had a 500mhz box to put the card in (looking at the specs require 400mhz) and it can't seem to keep up with the encoding to mpeg2.

I hope this finds more potential buyers.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Vorg

This is disapointing. I am using VDR with a Nexus providing video out so I don't have to mess with xine, softdevice or other encoder/decoders for now. My 23 year old Sony has RGB inputs so I have been using the RGB out of the Nexus. Since a couple of our locals are only doing HD on their digital channels, I thought I would use the NTSC for for those channels.

I am also looking at the HDHomeRun because it is a DUAL tuner without using any slots. The reason I looked again at this card is because the HDHR also doesn't support NTSC. The chip set they used can tune it, but they didn't provide encoding.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
iwantmyhdtv

Encoding a 640x480 in mpeg-2 is not that demanding. Any CPU from the past few years can handle that with ease in real time.
Not very clear to me..
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
jessica6

When you say "Does the card support NTSC", doesn't that mean support for the current analog broadcast standard? If so, who cares? Isn't everything going to HDTV (digital?) and there won't be any analog?

I was just doing some searching around today looking for a card to replace my existing ATI TV-Wonder, which I suspect will no longer work once everything goes digital.

Also, when the 'all digital' time has come, what sort of signal will come from the cable company? Won't that be a digital signal, similar to what will be broadcast? I'm on Comcast.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Re: Not very clear to me..
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sidicas

jessica6 wrote:
When you say "Does the card support NTSC", doesn't that mean support for the current analog broadcast standard? If so, who cares? Isn't everything going to HDTV (digital?) and there won't be any analog?
No. People who want to convert their VCR tapes to digital NEED an analog tuner.. Also, people with older game systems (Playstation, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Super Nintendo, etc.) also NEED an analog tuner (composite / s-video input is part of the V4L analog tuner)..

Just about all security cameras are still being made with analog outputs and old camcorders also use S-Video or composite output which requires an analog tuner...

There are many uses for the analog tuner and I wouldn't have bought an 5500 if it didn't have both DTV and NTSC tuners.

And no, most cable companies are sticking with analog for their standard cable... At least, most cable companies in my area are doing this.. If you want digital cable, you still have to pay an extra $40 a month for it and it doesn't look like they're going to be changing this greedy policy any time soon. At least, until they fear losing customers to terrestrial...
Does the pcHDTV 5500 card hardware encode NTSC?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions