pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Installed a 5500 in ubuntu 9.04, face hits brick wall
Installed a 5500 in ubuntu 9.04, face hits brick wall
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
cpufreak2589

Getting it out of the way, I am a linux noob who is learning, but I still suck. Flamethrowers off.

I've installed Jaunty on my much-needed HTPC, installed nvidia drivers, and it works fine. I put in my PCHDTV 5500 card and installed the newest drivers from the support page. I tested (I think) the driver install by running dmesg | grep DVB and dmesg | grep 5500 and got the following:
Code:
mobo@mythbox:~$ sudo dmesg | grep dvb
[sudo] password for mobo:
[    9.638723] cx88/2: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
[    9.638725] cx88/2: registering cx8802 driver, type: dvb access: shared
mobo@mythbox:~$ sudo dmesg | grep 5500
[    9.414202] cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected], frontend(s): 1
[    9.638727] cx88[0]/2: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47]

I am not 100% sure how to test this further. I tried running dtvsignal <all numbers 1-20> and got nothing back (it displayed a little chart but it was obvious that there was no signal). The adapter(s?) used were called /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 AND /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0. If I specify the adapter of /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 it seems to go nuts and outputs
Code:

Signal 205365 > 100$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

until I manually break it.

At this point, I am completely and utterly lost, I know that the guys at mythtv say to make sure my devices work before I even touch installing mythtv, and I am trying my best to do that, but the lack of readily-available linux documentation seems to be my downfall. Can someone throw me a bone and at least point me in any direction?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
flaarg

I currently have a pchdtv5500 working in ubuntu jaunty. I also have gotten it to work in fedora 11, the latest arch, and debian testing. For all distributions it has been the same. I don't have to install the drivers provided on the support page because the ones that are provided as kernel modules work just fine. After installing the Card or OS all I do is install dvbscan, for ubuntu
Code:
sudo apt-get install dvb-utils

Then if you are running atsc ota like me run in your home dir
Code:
scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > channels.conf

Let that run for a while. If you are using a different tv source look around in the /usr/share/dvb dir for the correct file. Then I suggest installing vlc and running in your home dir
Code:
vlc channels.conf

in vlc you can change channels with the playlist. You can also use the channels.conf with mplayer but its different approach and not as elegant as the vlc. I have never tried to get mythtv up because I don't use the capture part of my cards abilities. However the newer versions of VLC, not that provided with ubuntu jaunty support pausing tv.
Installed a 5500 in ubuntu 9.04, face hits brick wall
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup