pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics -> Mythbuntu + pcHDTV 5500 = Freedom from Windows?
Mythbuntu + pcHDTV 5500 = Freedom from Windows?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
cat2005

For those using, or knowledgeable of, the following tuner card: pcHDTV 5500 model

I have a question: Can I use it to receive digital cable TV?

By "digital cable TV" I mean this: I have a cable coming from my wall. I can plug it into my Hauppauge PVR-150 (in Windows) and watch local and non-local channels. Of course, those are analog channels even though my provider (Time Warner) is digital.

I want to do so with the 5500 but receive the digital channels instead of, or in addition to, the analog channels. Please note, I am only interested in the standard definition stuff coming through the cable, not over-the-air stuff, high definition stuff, etc.

Simply put, I want to do in Mythbuntu with a digital cable signal what I could do in Windows with an analog cable signal: watch and record TV.

I am sorry if this question is insulting simple, but I have little knowledge of these things and even less understanding. I would really appreciate your insight.

TV is the only reason I need Windows. If I could watch and record TV in linux, then I could (and would) watch the door hit Window's butt on the way out! I would no longer need Windows!

Here are my system specs:

1 - Mythbuntu 9.04
2 - p4 cpu @ 2.4 ghz @ 300 - 400 bus
3 - 1 gb ram @ 300 - 400 bus
4 - Nvidia GeForce FX5200 @ 128 mb
5 - Asus mobo P4S800 (PCI support, no PCIe support)
6 - No Sound Card / Blaster
7 - Hauppauge PVR 150 (currently not setup with mythtv, but soon plan to replace this with something to capture digital, or both digital and analog)
8 - Want to display TV output on my computer monitor, currently using standard VGA cable to connect computer to monitor
9 - Speakers and sub-woof
10 - Digital cable via Time Warner
Mythbuntu + pcHDTV 5500 = Freedom from Windows?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics