pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> IR Setup on PC-5500
IR Setup on PC-5500
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
gmorgan618

In concerns to the PC-5500 card:

I've searched the forum and it seems the IR port is still a work in progress. In the hopes that this has changed and possibly getting a newer response to the question, I thought i would repost this topic (all the existing posts in the forum on this seem to be from 2006/2007)

Could someone supply a walkthrough of how to get the IR port working on the PC-5500 card if there is one or possibly point me to a page that might have this information...?

I'm currently using the MythDora distro. I just ordered a new system to handle my dvr needs, so the system will need to be rebuilt - if there is a better distro, I would love to hear that too...

Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
draper7

I too have tried to get the IR to work with lirc...

from dmesg:
[ 10.364151] input: cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:01.0/input/input3

Compiled the latest version of lirc with devinput....

# sudo lircd -n -d /dev/input/event3
lircd: lircd(devinput) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: initializing '/dev/input/event3'

in another term with remote and pressing buttons:
# sudo irw

Nothing.

Just thought I'd ask again before I throw together a IR receiver per lirc.org. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-D
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
markzimm

From old posts, it seems that it is necessary to use a "JP5 (Philips/Magnavox)" remote. Has anyone tried one of these? I was hoping to find a post somewhere in which someone gives an actual part number of a remote that they are using successfully.

I have been trying to set up the Aux button of a Dish Network remote with various Philips and Magnavox codes, without success.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
draper7

I tried one of these:

http://www.newtvremotes.com/Mfrs/Philips/PhilipsTV/996500022787.htm

Didn't work...

markzimm wrote:
From old posts, it seems that it is necessary to use a "JP5 (Philips/Magnavox)" remote. Has anyone tried one of these? I was hoping to find a post somewhere in which someone gives an actual part number of a remote that they are using successfully.

I have been trying to set up the Aux button of a Dish Network remote with various Philips and Magnavox codes, without success.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
markzimm

Does the IR device show up in your Xorg.0.log? I get this:

Code:
(II) config/hal: Adding input device cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)
(**) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): always reports core events
(**) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): Device: "/dev/input/event6"
(II) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): Found keys
(II) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)" (type: KEYBOARD)

but, of course nothing triggers it. If you do find one that works then this makes it easy to test without wondering if lirc is working. I have another machine that has a DVBworld satellite receiver plus remote and it just shows up in X so that hitting numbers on the remote is the same as typing them at the keyboard.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
draper7

Nice catch... I'll check this when I get home from work.

markzimm wrote:
Does the IR device show up in your Xorg.0.log? I get this:

Code:
(II) config/hal: Adding input device cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)
(**) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): always reports core events
(**) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): Device: "/dev/input/event6"
(II) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): Found keys
(II) cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV): Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)" (type: KEYBOARD)

but, of course nothing triggers it. If you do find one that works then this makes it easy to test without wondering if lirc is working. I have another machine that has a DVBworld satellite receiver plus remote and it just shows up in X so that hitting numbers on the remote is the same as typing them at the keyboard.
Get your build-in 5500 IR receiver working by doing this..
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
jimbo

For recent versions linuxes running HAL. (If you get output from the command:

pgrep -lf hal

then the Linux that you are running has HAL.)

If you can see output from the 'mode2' program but not from the 'irw' program then likely it is HAL the Hardware Abstraction Layer software that is taking control of the IR device before the lirc driver.

To remedy, configure HAL to ignore the device.

Use the 'lshal' program to see if HAL is getting the device.
In the output from that program, look for "input.product = 'cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)' (string)".

All of the information about this issue may be found here:

http://www.lirc.org/html/devinput.html

The stanza that I put into my .fdi file is this:

<device>
<match key="info.product" contains_ncase="cx88 IR">
<merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</device>

Then reboot.

I bought a remote (made by GE) in store from WalMart for $6.50 USD that is programmable to most any remote. I set it to a LG TV remote.

I installed the lirc package for my distribution only for the purpose of having it install the init script into /etc/init.d and the configuration files for the init script into /etc/lirc.

I then downloaded the the latest source for lircd, and compiled that, and replaced the lircd binaries from the package with the binaries that I built.

Then I used the 'irrecord' program and the remote to create the lircd.conf file. irw will not give output unless lircd is started with a lircd.conf file that is for the remote that you are using. Start lircd with the device and lircd.conf file. Give irw program the socket created by lircd and irw works fine. Then you might run mythbuntu-lirc-generator program to create the resource file for mythtv.

Use your brain and the documentation on the lirc home page is you continue to have issues.

[/list]
IR Setup on PC-5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup