pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics -> recording a QAM stream
recording a QAM stream
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
cyrus7580

I'm attempting to record HDTV programming with a 5500 using QAM. Fedora 10's kernel is sufficiently advanced that the card was recognized and installed on bootup. I know this because dtvsignal (from the dvb-atsc-tools package) shows a 90%+ signal on channel 72 (which I know is CBS).

But somehow I don't think something's working right. When I attempt to capture video with "./getatsc -q -dvb 0 > recording.ts", the resulting file always has a 0 file size.

I've looked around the internet for more options than just getatsc but pchdtvr (now atscap) doesn't compile. It might be too out of date for my kernel now.

One thing of note is that when using dtvscan -q, my digital channels show something like this:

Signal: 90
look for sync
got to here
PAT found ckets
PAT found ckets
PAT found ckets
PAT found ckets
PAT found ckets
unable to receive valid packets
did find pat
`ERROR vct item ptr null couldn't get channel info
: :00.1 :00 2:1
channel = 01 QAM 256

Seems like there are some errors there, obviously.

To be completely honest, I bought my pcHDTV 5500 a few years ago and have been disappointed with it. I'd say I have an above average technical ability when it comes to these kinds of things, but have found it unbelievably difficult to get this card to do anything useful. I was once able to get it to record ATSC streams over the air, but never could get the video to show up in a useful way (such as in a player where I could change channels and what-have-you). Thus, I threw it in a storage box and hoped "someday this will be better supported and easier to install."

That hasn't proven to be the case at all, making my original purchase pretty worthless. If anything, it seems like it's getting more complicated because the tools and support for this card are getting older and older. For example, dvb-atsc-tools is a poorly-written, thrown-together application (as evidenced by poor documentation and error messages like "gets to here") and hasn't been updated since 2007.

My questions are who is this card for and does it work well for anyone?

And also, I'd like to get this working.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ke4roh

I have the same problem with getatsc and have not been able to record or watch anything in the 4 days since I got my card. I'm running 2.6.32-37-generic #81-Ubuntu and have installed precompiled packages for xine and other programs, though dvb-atsc-tools-1.0.7 downloaded, compiled, and generally seemed to work.

ATSC has too weak a signal to be useful. My source is QAM. I have scanned channels a couple of ways (w_scan didn't seem to work, but dtvscan -q -fx -o ~/.xine/chanels.qam generates some seemingly meaningful output (with complaints like what you mentioned)), and my ~/.xine/channels.conf has lines like this:

Code:
      :      :76.1 :76: 2:1

And I can do this:

Code:
$ dtvsignal -q 76
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
setting frontend to QAM cable
tuning to 537000000 Hz
video pid 0x0021, audio pid 0x0024
dtvsignal ver 1.0.7 - by Jack Kelliher (c) 2002-2007
channel = 76  freq = 537000000Hz table 537
channel = 76 freq = 537000000Hz
 30db       0%         25%         50%         75%        100%
Signal:     |     .     :     .     |     ._____:_____._____|
Signal: 094 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But then when I try

Code:

getatsc -q -dvb 0 76

nothing happens. (I should get a screen full of TV signal, I'd think.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
recording a QAM stream
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics