pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> NO AUDIO - DESPERATE - LETS SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL
NO AUDIO - DESPERATE - LETS SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
SAZ31

All,

I have many co-workers/friends that are waiting on me to get this up and running to see if they like it, or if they will go to a TiVO. I know this is better than TiVO, but I need to prove it first. They are starting to get doubtful about this (as am I), so I need your help ASAP.

I have been struggling on this topic for a while now ( many hours), and after scouring the internet boards, so is everyone else. PLEASE lets just fix this in an EASY to read HOW-TO, so people can stop wasting so much time on it.

PROBLEM: After configuring pcHDTV 5500, video comes through but not audio.

STEPS TAKEN SO FAR:
1. Have tried V4L setup with coax directly from outlet to input of 5500 card. Connected Audio connector from included pcHDTV cable to Mic input on On-Board sound. Made sure MIC volume is on using AUMIX and MIXER. Can get most of the tv channels. Can change channel with keyboard buttons. No Audio. Several lines of white/black fuzzyness at top of screen. Tried both dev/dsp1 and dev/dsp with no luck for Audio. All audio properties are 48K sampling (frontend and backend).

2. Have tried V4L setup with S-Video directly connected from Cox Communications STB (Explorer 3340 STB) to input of 5500 card. Connected RCA Y-adapter to input of S-VHS plug on 5500 Card. Cannot use keyboard to change channels, have to use STB to change channels. Can recieve many more (all?) channels. Other symptoms are exactly the same as #1.

3. Have tried many different ways to use DVB DTV Capture Card settings, but WILL NOT WORK. EVER. I know this is what all the help forums say to use, but mine absolutely will NEVER find any channels no matter how hard I try. And of course, no audio.

4. Tried altering the blacklist at /etc/modprobe.d/ , but files are always 'Read Only' with emacs installed. There is no "aliases" folder or directory that I can find.

SUMMARY
I have no real problems getting video, my main complaint is that I cannot get audio to work. Rather than speculate on what the problem is, PLEASE start giving me ideas on what to fix/change.

If anyone out there can write a DETAILED explanation on how to solve this problem, please do so, you have no idea how many people you will be helping.

Also, if someone can please fix my problem, I will promise to help someone else solve theirs. I need this working.

Thanks,

SAZ31

GeForce 8400 GS Graphics Card
450 W Power Supply
On Board Audio
pcHDTV 5500
Cox Communications Cable TV
Re: NO AUDIO - DESPERATE - LETS SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
slydog

I had to learn a hard lesson that the hd5500 has two tuners, one analog and one atsc. I knew to use DVB when setting up the card in myth-setup, but I did not know to set up a second card (for the same physical card) as V4L. DVB only gets me digital channels, V4L will only capture analog. Hindsight tells me this is painfully obvious and I should have known, but I'm used to that feeling after years of clumsy tinkering with Linux (loving every minute).

I also have service with Cox. I just turned in my set top box and down-graded my service from digital tv. Aside from not needing that many channels of brain goo, I think Cox's digital tv service is encrypted. Their standard service (the stuff that can be viewed by most televisions without a stb) can be read by the hd5500.

With the right service coming in, I can get all the channels I expect to.

For each physical hd5500 in your system:
1) Add new card. Select DVB. In recording options, check, "Open DVB card on demand".
2) Add new card. Select V4L. Set audio sampling to 48000.

Subscribe to two SchedulesDirect lists: one for the analog and one for the digital channels. For my area, I found these that applied to me:
Cox Communications : Cable
Cox Communications - Digital : CableDigital
USDTV Norfolk - Digital : CableDigital

I added the first as my analog listing source, and the third as my digital listing source. The second would have applied if I had kept my STB and used an IR Blaster with some other capture card.

I assigned the digital listing sources to the DVB card, and the analog listing to the V4L. I also set the same input group for each (I don't think the hd5500 can be used for analog and atsc simultaneously). I have two hd5500 cards installed, so I have four input connections and two input groups.

I think I only needed to scan for digital channels. I used QAM-256 for that. I may or may not have scanned on the analog, I don't remember. I have observed that sometimes the "Fetch Channels From Listing Source" button sometimes does something (noted by a pause) and sometimes it doesn't. I don't really know what is going on there; I think it depends on the type of listing source?

I had a hard time getting my 5500 cards configured correctly. But I have nailed down all issues except that I have no audio on my ananlog channels. Everything I described above was gleaned from this post (there was a better one, but I lost it):

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7145&highlight=hd5500+analog

And this wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/PcHDTV_HD-5500

Hope that helps in some way.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sidicas

slydog wrote:
But I have nailed down all issues except that I have no audio on my ananlog channels.

Take the S-VHS cable that comes with your tuner (in the box) . Plug that into your card. Take the 3.5mm audio output plug coming out of the S-VHS cable and plug that into the Line-in on your sound card...
Unmute the line-in on your sound card...
And voila.. Audio on your Analog..

Let me know if this doesn't do it for you..
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
slydog

Actually, I just figured out the audio problem... The problem was me.

I had to set the audio devices to /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 for each of the input devices in mythtv-setup.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Sidicas

slydog wrote:
Actually, I just figured out the audio problem... The problem was me.

I had to set the audio devices to /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 for each of the input devices in mythtv-setup.

Yea, I did the same thing last week... Gets you a whole ear full of static... At least, for me it did.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
SAZ31

Well I solved the problem.

1. I initially had a sound card installed (Sound Blaster) when it wasn't working right. I was going to just use on-board sound anyway, but I didn't take the card out right away.

2. I played with lots of settings trying to get it to work, to no avail.

3. I reinstalled Mythbuntu - without the sound card installed - and it works! All sound is in synch. I can watch it with my STB or through analog, however I don't get as many channels through analog and the tunner is definitly better using S-video out on the STB.

QUESTION
Does anyone know the optimum settings for SD quality video? I have a 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive I bought last week for this, and it works well except since it is NOT SATA, there are skips/glitches every few minutes while watching sports. Is this because of the hard drive not being SATA? My processor is 2.53 GHz, and I only have one stream going, so it seems like it should work.

Please let me know. Thanks everyone.

GeForce 8400 GS Graphics Card
450 W Power Supply
On Board Audio
pcHDTV 5500
Cox Communications Cable TV
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Sidicas

SAZ31 wrote:
Is this because of the hard drive not being SATA? My processor is 2.53 GHz, and I only have one stream going, so it seems like it should work.

Not likely due to being IDE.. Check if your drive is set up for Direct Memory Access... For the life of me, I can't remember the full command, but I know that it's checked and set using hdparm..

It's possible DMA is being shut off due to corruption from a bad cable (doesn't support UDMA) or chipset driver issues.. In either case, if you don't have DMA enabled, you're going to need it...

Probably should have started a new thread for that, btw...
How do you unmute the line-in on your sound card?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
kkrie616

How do you unmute the line-in on your sound card? I am not able to get sound on my single 5500 card. I am following this forum thread but have no idea how to complete this step.
I figured this out configuring the Analog w
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
kkrie616

With my system I only have one 5500 card, I wanted the analog (cable company channels) only so no ATSC required.

1. I did not have to plug in the cable from the 5500 card to the PC line in it was not necessary.
1. Added only one new card. Select V4L. Set audio sampling to 48000.
2. I had to set the audio devices to /dev/dsp1
3. Reboot the system.

All is well, I now have sound.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
kanita

Windows drivers installed fine, and then right after that VirtualDub almost worked. But then after a restart, I always get the error that something else is using the device, and I'm stuck on that right now. I'd love to capture straight to Xvid + mp3 or ac3.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup