pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Possible to change framerate on re-encode?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Possible to change framerate on re-encode?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
leroid

I was wondering if it's possible to change the frame rate on HD content in some sort of a pulldown. I know this is not telecined content, but is it possible to take the 29.97fps stream and convert it into a 59.94fps, while scaling half way to compensate for the missing fields and then go to something like 24fps or 23.976?

I know this sounds kind of wacky but if I can do this without the cost of smoothness, it would increase the bits-per-frame count, ultimately resulting in higher overall quality.

Just to give you an idea of why I'm so picky: I want my encode resolution to be around 640x360 or 720x405 and at an average bitrate of 1.5Mbps so I need every extra bit I can get. Anything at higher resolutions I'll just keep in the original transport stream but that will not happen for special things like when they say on the news that Microsoft uses Linux for their web servers.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

You can do that with the -ofps option in mencoder. It has lots of telecine and pulldown options.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote

Could you please be more specefic?

As of now that's no help really Laughing It's obvious I can just change the framerate but the idea is to do it in a 2-pass way that preserves the smoothness. Setting the -ofps to 24 alone is as useful as a slideshow as the video would be choppy and whatnot.

Regarding the filters, I explained before that it's not any single filter, a combonation might work but that's what I'm asking for the specifics people might know about.
Possible to change framerate on re-encode?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics