pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HDTV Broadcast Flag approved
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HDTV Broadcast Flag approved
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:01 am Reply with quote
n1hck

does anyone know exactly how this could effect us users of the PCHDTV card?

Nick D
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:46 am Reply with quote
None

it will be illeagal to buy or sell a HDTV card for a computer after 2005.
It affects systems built with card
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:19 am Reply with quote

The card itself is not a system. The system (Computer + card) would require compliance with the broadcast flag rule.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote

The card is not allowed to transfer compressed data unencripted over any user accessable bus. Therfore in order to make a card, one must add some form of encription to it, making it much more expensive, and much less usefull. I seriously doubt anyone will make a card to meet these new restrictions. And if they do, that anyone would buy such a card (I certainly won't). This law has effectively killed the market for HDTV cards for PCs, and will kill the market for home theater PC in general. It used to be that the FCC did things in the interest of the public, it now seems they only do things in the interest of their pockets. This is not in the interest of the public, not in the interest of the industry, and I believe it will even hurt the movie industry in the long run. But then the MPAA and RIAA have both proven that they will actively fight against their own interests to preserve their monopoly over media.
The FCC rule covers the pcHDTV card, however ...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:46 am Reply with quote

According to Item 47 on page 24 of the FCC 03-273 document:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-273A1.doc

47. An additional enforcement mechanism is also needed to enable the commercial manufacture, sale and distribution of DTV demodulators that have not yet been associated with a TSP or incorporated into any consumer product and, thus, cannot demonstrate compliance with the Demodulator Product compliance and robustness obligations. To account for this situation, we will require manufacturers or importers of ATSC demodulators to obtain from buyers of such products a written commitment that they will: (1) only sell or distribute such products that are, or will be incorporated into, devices that meet our Demodulator Product compliance and robustness rules, and (2) only sell or distribute such products to another person that has committed in writing that they will abide by our Demodulator Product compliance and robustness rules. This requirement is based upon a similar construct set forth in the Joint Proposal; no comments were received on this issue. We believe that these written commitments, which must be filed with the Commission and will be made publicly available for inspection, should provide a streamlined framework for manufacturers, importers and resellers to verify compliance with the Commissionís rules. Should a buyer violate their written commitment, it will be deemed a violation of the Commissionís rules.
re: the FCC rule
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:51 pm Reply with quote

wondering when this thread would show up.

I believe that rule was an attempt to address the incipient market for so-called "software radios". Such a device could receive (or transmit) any signal, and has been shown to be capable of receiving hdtv. While too expensive right now, it was just a matter of time before they became fast and cheap enough.

I think this rule is the beginning of the end. They've been trying to get DRM into all consumer devices for years now. The end would be effectively criminalizing open (software and hardware) platforms.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:06 pm Reply with quote

So does this mean it would be a waste of money to buy an HDTV card since after 2005 there would be declining software improvements/support? I was hoping to use HDTV cards in the PC as a low cost, long term way to receive HD programming.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Ulmo

guest wrote:
So does this mean it would be a waste of money to buy an HDTV card since after 2005 there would be declining software improvements/support? I was hoping to use HDTV cards in the PC as a low cost, long term way to receive HD programming.

The reason you cite seems like it would be a con, but a pro is that you only have until 2005 to buy it unemcumbered, and perhaps before. In other words, there may be usefulness to obtaining the card easily as we can now from pcHDTV before our software radio transceivers/receivers are cheap enough to get instead, so that we can make fair and legal use of the signal despite the broadcast flag being present and enforced, during that time when it otherwise might be far more difficult to obtain a card. My way with words right now isn't behaving ... let me try again.

IF the card will be useful, e.g., post-2004, THEN it would be advantegous to get it while you can, i.e., before 2005. I think that it probably WILL be useful, e.g., post-2004, if I am interpreting what I'm reading correctly. I have only done enough reading to make this conclusion, and have not read the standards and dumb legal codes to figure this out myself; I read the results of others.

What we all kind of want is a mini-rush to get these things after their bugs have been solved, so that enough of us have them to have a critical mass of support that useful applications will be around long enough that we find them useful, and worth it. I made the gamble today for one.

. . .

This broadcast flag thing reminds me of the Communist Soviet Union, when everyone needed a liscence to own and operate a receiving radio, much less a television; us USAers thought that was very "unamerican", censorial, and dictitorial, and was one of the reasons we complained about The Evil Empire. Now, the FCC (legally or not) is headed in that direction.

Luckily, Congress shall make no law abridging ... (first amendment) ... so if anybody finds that they can not create a new press and speech due to Congress's laws, they can just obviate those laws for their own press and speech; courts might be needed. Media is cheaper and easier than ever; if we're more blocked now than before, then of course someone could prevail with such a suit. The suit might be expensive and the result narrowly individualized to the person seeking press and speech, however, and in the meanwhile would have to consider settlements and contract offers that take away their value in order to continue their life and practices during such an event. That seems outside the scope of your question, by far.

Of course, I wish I could receive European television which has more sex and less violence, which seems exactly like the taste I have (I hate violence and think sex is underrepresented on TV), so not everything USAers believe in in general is congruent with my tastes in specific. Again, another system, another discussion.
HDTV Broadcast Flag approved
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics