pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> btastc: buffer overrun
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
btastc: buffer overrun
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Joe

Is anyone else having problems with getting a consistant stream?

I get the following sysloged over and over:
btatsc: buffer overrun

This is tuning in a chanel that has a signal level of 90% consistantly...

Joe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:39 pm Reply with quote
zzo

I get those messages too but it doesn't seem to effect my ability to watch HD tho
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
brandon

Joe, what hardware are you using? Any chance it's a via motherboard?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:52 pm Reply with quote

I thought I had posted a reply, but it never showed up. I fixed my problem by upgrading my kernel. I don't know how I became in that state, as no changes I know of had been done, but upgrading my debian kernel fixed it.

--Brandon
Fix!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Alright, after a bit of checking, here is the cause and solution. First of all, buffer overruns is due to love system resources. Changin bios settings including pci delay transation, amount of data on the bus (32-254) should be set to 64 for best performance (or for me atleast). Also check what power management you have enabled. My system supports STPGNT-Mode (Stop grant) for my athlon CPU. Enabling this via athcool or using:

setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 D5=$(printf %x $((0x$(setpci -H1 -s 0:0.0 D5) | 0x02)))

Is causing the CPU to cycle down and when it needs to run the CPU takes long enough to cycle back up that the PCI bus has overrun the buffer set up. The solution is to create a larger buffer or fix the athcool/drivers that enable this, and/or fix a possible bug in the athlon CPU.

The simple fix is to not use athcool or that setpci command. My testing shows you can enable power saving on the mainboard without a problem, but since this gains you little I personally leave it off "just incase" so I don't loose my favorite show.

* Note, this reduces the number of buffer overruns greatly, but not 100%. However, it does fix irq bit mask clearing which kills data transfer from the card completely. I'll post a fix since irq bit mask clearning is very important, but you shouldn't hit it unless you've been trying to use athcool.

--Brandon
btastc: buffer overrun
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics