pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> Xine doesn't know how to handel dtv://
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Xine doesn't know how to handel dtv://
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
SpikeyGG

Hello all,

I'm trying to get xine working on my new system. I am running the AMD64 port of Debian and the compile/configure seems to go correctly with Xine. However, when I start it up there is no DTV button. I only have buttons for VCD, DVD, DVB, and CD. When I try to run "xine dtv://" it complains:
"-xine engine error- There is no input plugin available to handle 'dtv://'. Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist."

I looked in /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/ and I see a xineplug_inp_dtv.so so I think it's set up correctly but there must be a broken link somewhere between the xine lib and xine ui. I think the problem is that Debian has some xine libraries already installed and unfortunately, I cannot uninstall them because Debian thinks they are required for X. Is there anyway I can force Xine to see the DTV plugin?

Thanks,

-Greg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

This message really means "Couldn't open /dev/dtv". For some reason this list of possible causes doesn't include "already open by another process" which is usually what causes it on my system.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
SpikeyGG

I don't think that it's already in use, because if I don't have anything else running I can use getatsc to dump a stream to a file, then load that file with xine and it works fine.

When I run "xine /dev/dtv" It complains:

- xine engine error -
There is no demuxer plugin available to handle '/dev/dtv'
Usually this means that the file format was not recognized.

So it looks like it can't handle dtv but it works fine with a TS file. I don't know what the deal is. Anyone?

Thanks,

-Greg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

In the past I've had trouble getting new versions of xine to find the right versions of plug-ins if there were old versions of the libraries and plug-ins still around. The only way I was able to get xine-hd to work was to go into /usr/local/lib and wipe out absolutely everything with xine in its name. I think it was finding the old plug-ins, seeing that their versions weren't right and complaining the plug-in didn't exist even though there were at least two versions of it.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Also, start xine with --verbose=8. That will print the paths to all the plug-ins it's finding.
Xine doesn't know how to handel dtv://
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd