pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> Xine-HD vs. VeXP-VIAXine-3.5
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Xine-HD vs. VeXP-VIAXine-3.5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
jwubbel

Recently VIA release to the OS Community their Linux source code of the Mini-ITX boards. VeXP-VIAXine was also released. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had a chance to test it and compare with Xine-HD. Since VIA docs indicate their version takes advantage of acceleration on their hardware I was wondering if their were any opinions yet. I will probably build and test it to see how it performs. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
maestro

The first CN400-based boards are just shipping this week -- I had one on pre-order and almost got it this week (but I wasn't home!!!).

Responses to my question on http://sourceforge.net/projects/viaexp/ indicate that it is viable for decoding HDTV resolutions, although I'm not sure what the Xine-HD code does (yet). (I believe there are some additions for PCHDTV support, such as channel-changing, and I think at least some of this has been merged into the main Xine source (probably now using DVB). I guess I'll found out next week.)

The VeXP is of course based on Xine, the version looks to be v0.9.9. Xine-HD looks to be 0.8 based (judging by the xine-hd-0.Cool.

I hoping that VeXP will work with DTV (using DVB; not expecting it to though), otherwise I'll be trying to use its xine-lib with the Xine-HD xine-ui, and see how that flies (probably won't). Failing that, I'll have to start beating some code into submission...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
kfowlks

The LV-667T Advanced Digital Media Mini-ITX Mainboard (HDTV output) is a CN400 based board with component video output.

I'm shipping these boards today, check it out here: http://core.resonanceone.com

- Kevin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
maestro

maestro wrote:
I hoping that VeXP will work with DTV (using DVB; not expecting it to though), otherwise I'll be trying to use its xine-lib with the Xine-HD xine-ui, and see how that flies (probably won't). Failing that, I'll have to start beating some code into submission...

Well, I have VeXP 3.5 successfully playing both 720p and 1080i resolutions smoothly on the EPIA SP8000E (800MHz!). The CPU usage is < 25% ! Now to integrate with mythtv/pcHDTV for live tv...
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
tkripala

I have an EPIA MII (1.2GHz C3) wth the Unichrome drivers. I can't get the performance you are getting for both 720P or 1080i. In fact, I get a bunch of frame drops. However, I can playback 4.5 Mbps CBR MPEG2 Transport Streams that consumes only 15% of the CPU.

Other than trying VIA VeXP player, any other suggestions?

BTW, I am using xinelib version 1.0.1.

Thanks!
EPIA MMI Unicfhrome drivers
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
jwubbel

tkripala wrote:
I have an EPIA MII (1.2GHz C3) wth the Unichrome drivers. I can't get the performance you are getting for both 720P or 1080i. In fact, I get a bunch of frame drops. However, I can playback 4.5 Mbps CBR MPEG2 Transport Streams that consumes only 15% of the CPU.

Other than trying VIA VeXP player, any other suggestions?

BTW, I am using xinelib version 1.0.1.

Thanks!

I have been working on both an EPIA MII 1.2GHz C3 system and the EPIA SP13000. I can tell you what I did to squeeze out performance. On the 1.2Ghz box I had the latest FC3. I spent a good deal of time to study available packages for building an HTPC and ended up rebuilding from the ground up so to speak. FC3 binary out of the box is a generic Pentium kernel. My initial mplayer testing using a worse case scenario playback of an mpeg movie of course was terrible. Looking at using the latest XC, v4l2, mplayer, etc., and of course the Unichrome drivers from SourceForge, one must migrate to the latest kernel which not to long ago was Linux-2.6.11.6. Guess what? I had to install it and rebuild the kernel. The advantage though in doing so is by compiling the kernel for the C3 you are going have MMX SSE support which if I remember correctly you would not have if using a standard FC3 installation. I then rebuilt the xorg and mplayer before retesting the same mpeg movie and performance was satisfactory. It was not until I built the Unichrome drivers that acceleration kicked in on that CLE 266 and CPU utilization went down. So far I have installed just about everything including mythTV and if my eyes don't deceive me I would say my DVD movies look better than when I run them on Windows XP. After getting the code where I wanted it, I rsync'd it to my server for safe keeping and took another hard drive and did a dd to image the entire drive. That 2nd drive went into the SP13000 box but knowing full well the Unichrome driver was going to be replace with the other driver by Ivor that has support for the CN400 bridge. I tried at first to use the Unichrome drivers from VIA but could not get a clean build on them. The Ivor drivers took about 30 seconds to read the readme and about 3 minutes to build and I am in business. I have only about 1 day of testing so far with the SP box but the video performance just using it as a general workstation PC seems to be great. I have yet to try the Xine package from VIA. I look where ever I can to tweak performance and have been very happy with the EPIA boards.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
maestro

tkripala wrote:

The CN400 chipset has a full MPEG2 decoder, and an MPEG4 accelerator. This enables it to do full HDTV resolutions. I asked in the VeXP forum about the CLE266 chipset, and the lead developer indicated that it doesn't have enough horsepower for HDTV, since it is just an MPEG2 accelerator.

Martin
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
jwubbel

Yes, on the EPIA 1.2 board I was only running pcHDTV NTSC. I was so happy just to get that far since I was not having much luck with a KWorld product. I purchased a 2nd pcHDTV card and want to see how it performs on the 1.3 system. I have a new Hyundai L90D+ arriving tomorrow. But that leads to my next question. Has anybody been able to locate a VIA LVDS-06 for the SP13000 board? I wonder if this accessory is available yet in the US. Perhaps next week I will get back to my original quest to test out the xine release from VIA.

Xine-HD vs. VeXP-VIAXine-3.5
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd