pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> New MythTV setup - some hardware questions
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
New MythTV setup - some hardware questions
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
pestie

Hi, all! I'm about to build my first MythTV setup and I'm hoping you fine folks can answer a few questions for me.

1. If I use a PVR-350 with its built-in MPEG decode ability, will it decode HD recorded by my HD-3000 for playback on my standard-def TV? I saw a mention in another thread that lower-resolution stuff worked fine, but higher (1080i) didn't.

2. What's the story with the nVidia FX-5200 cards? I keep seeing references to them, but do they have S-video out, and are drivers easily available? I saw someone mention using ancient (2-year-old) drivers because newer ones were broken.

3. What's the story with XVMC? I see it stands for X Video, Motion Compensation, but I can't seem to find anything that explains anything more than that. Is it part of the X server? Do XF86 and X.org servers both support it?

4. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the DVB driver vs. the V4L driver, especially where MythTV is concerned?

I'm not new to linux at all, but I'm definitely new to video on linux, so any help I can get here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
GrepTar

I'm the one that said the pvr-350 decoder works for lower-def dtv channels. When a high def channel is sent to the card, it basically draws garbage. So, I have to do a software render to the frame buffer, but I don't have enough cpu to do that (yet). It would be nice if there was a way for mythtv to figure out if the stream is valid for the decoder before it sends it.

I think XvMC is an API, just like OpenGL. Like OpenGL is for an application to send 3d drawing commands to a display driver, XvMC is for an application to send video to a display driver. That driver may be able to use special hardware to make the operations quicker, or may have use some software to implement the whole API, but that is all up to the driver and the hardware. The application doesn't know the difference, so you don't have to re-write the application for different hardware.

One advantage of the DVB driver is that it is built into the latest kernel (release candidate, that is). It also seems to be more appropriate for digital transmissions. It is easier to set up in mythtv than the other driver. So, I guess that is an advantage too.
New MythTV setup - some hardware questions
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card