pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux -> Prebuilt systems yet?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Prebuilt systems yet?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
mkinn

I would like to purchase a pre-built, working KnopMyth or RedHat-MythTV-HD-DVR system for time-shifting OTA HD: Rack-mount, black, silent case with 3Ghz Intel CPU, 1Gb Ram, 500Gb disc, Ir remote, Audigy 5.1 Audio, HD3000 & NVidia 6600 cards. I don't care about QAM, but if it works, great. I own a 5000 sq. foot Home-Theater showroom, and may buy a few of these, if they work well. If nobody sells this type of thing, can someone give an educated guess on what it would cost? How much to add a Linux-ready FTA HD DVB tuner card for sat feed recording?

I don't have the 50+ hours it takes to load the software, or the chops to recompile kernels, plow thru 100 .conf or .rc files for insanely arcane references to little-understood drivers and interfaces. It's not a hobby that a normal person should take up.

If someone understands all this well enough to do it once, they can burn a CD copy of the working hard drive so you could re-image a new hard drive if the original one fails. I did this for my 2 DirecTivo's already.

Also, has anyone tried to address any of these concerns/requests from the ExtremeTech article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1814905,00.asp

1. A MythTV specific menu in the main desktop menu with complete documentation in a GUI-based app (not a man-based text help file)
2. A graphical LIRC configuration tool to choose which remote you're using
3. A more intuitive video "routing" configuration screen, including an easy way to switch the video output in use
4. A GUI-based audio mixer
5. A utility (kind of like Synaptic) to show which audio/video codecs are (and aren't) installed
6. Firefox and Gedit included, though these are easily obtained via KnoppMyth using the included Synaptic package management tool.
7. About every six months or so, we'd also spec out a known good hardware configuration, that if built, would bring up ExtremeMyth with near-zero configuration twiddling.

Keep in mind that a Hughes HDDVR250/DirecTV HR10-250 is now only $600.00 AND records HBOHD, SHOHD, ESPNHD, etc.

The new Sony DHG-HDD500 (60 hour OTA HD DVR with CableCard) is $1,000.00 here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DHGHDD500&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tvhav_HDDVRs
That's the retail, list price. I've seen it for $950.00 The 30 hour version is $740.00.
I'm not suggesting that anyone should purchase one of these, but isn't that what you're building? If so, then it should offer the same features for similar money. The only difference is the copy protection issue. So if the broadcast flag gets implemented, then the price goes up, right? I realize that I need to purchase a card mfg'd before July 1, 2005. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Prebuilt systems yet?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quote
Computer buff

mkinn wrote:

It's not a hobby that a normal person should take up.

Why be normal?

mkinn wrote:

If someone understands all this well enough to do it once, they can burn a CD copy of the working hard drive so you could re-image a new hard drive if the original one fails.

Hmm...KnoppMyth? Seriously though, someday soon I expect that KnoppMyth will be a viable installation option for an HD system.

mkinn wrote:

I'm not suggesting that anyone should purchase one of these, but isn't that what you're building? If so, then it should offer the same features for similar money. The only difference is the copy protection issue. So if the broadcast flag gets implemented, then the price goes up, right? I realize that I need to purchase a card mfg'd before July 1, 2005. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Actually my mythtv system is much more. I have music, home movie, and DVD content along with the content recorded from OTA ATSC. I have a common set of content that can be viewed on multiple front ends. I can even use any browser to schedule recordings or to listen to music and watch home movies.

Also, at least for the time being, the broadcast flag is dead. It will literally take an act of Congress to revive it. On the otherhand, if it does come back to life then once enacted you will likely be in violation of the DMCA if you sell these boxes. Of course IANAL so you should consult yours.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Jim

so buff, can your wife handle this system as easily as mine can run the directivo, select tv input for dvd and vcr? I am pleasently surprised mine does but if there is ANY glitch, she doesn't know what to do. Can't imagine her trying to restart a front or back end etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Jim

mkinn, not too long ago I approached a home theater installation company in hope of part time employment, seemed we were having a good interview 'till I started talking of linux, ota hdtv etc. Seems they only install directv and cable box stuff, when I queried them about ota and qam hookups they were not knowlegeable, they originally worked for a hifi chain. They seem to know how great their cable and connector brands are... they don't return my calls. Maybe I should advertise ota hookups and pchdtv boxes..once I get mine going...Another video store in Portland could not show me a good front projecter, and they were "thinking of" installing an ota antenna. Again just cable box people..and they've been around forever..hmnn maybe I'll invent sky friendly projectors. So bright you have to shield it from the neighbors lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
mkinn

I didn't ask about DVD, since this is a Forum about HD, but since you mentioned it, has anyone been able to do anything like XCard -> PDI Card -> DScaler in Linux yet? If not, I'd rather recommend an external DVD player modded with an SDI output into a Lumagen VisionPro SDI.

Re: Linux DVD players
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Computer buff

mkinn wrote:
I didn't ask about DVD

You're right. You didn't. You did however mention features and seemed to imply that MythTV needs to address the list of "concerns/requests" in order to be serious competition for the commercial products you listed. I thought I would point out that these commercial units seem to lack some features that MythTV has.

BTW, I forgot to mention viewing of our digital photos as a feature of MythTV too (using MythGallery).

Everything is about tradeoffs. MythTV gives you a lot of features that the commercial units don't have but while the UI is pretty slick looking and generally easy to use the it does occasionally have it's shortfalls.

Those commercial products have developers who are paid to implement a particular feature set. In open source, typically features get implemented if the developers feel a need. More often than not that need is a personal need. Thus if a developer feels he needs a feature or something isn't working right for him and it is bugging him enough then he will work on it.

Jim wrote:

so buff, can your wife handle this system as easily as mine can run the directivo, select tv input for dvd and vcr? I am pleasently surprised mine does but if there is ANY glitch, she doesn't know what to do. Can't imagine her trying to restart a front or back end etc.

Yes, she does pretty good with it as far as watching content. She has not yet scheduled a recording or done any "management" of the box. Of course she is just starting to do this for our DirecTivo box so maybe she will warm up to it but I suspect it will be a while.

My systems don't seem to crash so I guess I'm lucky. If she did run into problems I'm sure she would just call -- she seems to know my work number. Wink
Prebuilt systems yet?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux