pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> When HD-3000 card is inserted, "startx" hangs the
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
When HD-3000 card is inserted, "startx" hangs the
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
msproull

I didn't see this question elsewhere, I apologize if it's already been answered.

I had been running Mythtv using only a pvr-350 for a few months with (after finally getting everything set up) no problems. When I got my hi-def TV, I figured out my modeline, and got the old card working with the new tv as well.

Then I downloaded and compiled version 2 of the HD-3000 drivers, which seemed to go ok, and put the card into the machine. As I mentioned in my subject, when I try "startx" I get garbage on the screen and the machine hangs. When I take the HD-3000 out, the machine boots and runs X and mythtv correctly.

I saw a post about someone moving the card to a different slot. That won't work for me. The components on the card only squeeze around the components on my motherborad in one slot. I did, however, move the pvr-350 to another slot. It didn't help.

My only error message is during boot:

Unable to allocate memory for device #1 (then lots of 0s and 1's which go by very fast) then finally 1118870343.013.0

This message does not appear when the HD-3000 is not in the machine.

I updated my bios, hoping that might help, but it didn't.

I have now disconnected from the tv, hooked the machine back up to a computer monitor, and replaced xorg.conf with its original version, which I had saved from the original config of the machine. The machine still hangs when I try to start x.

Just to see what would happen, I put the fedora core 4 dvd into the machine, booted, and started the install. The machine hung when the install program was attempting to start x.

Hardware
Motherboard: A-bit As8
Processor: P4 3.4 GHz
DDRAM: 1 GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce 6600 256mb
Software (all updated to most recent)
Setup using Jarrod's guide: http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

Please tell me I skipped a step during setup, or made some other stupid mistake! Otherwise, I'm sure you'll want to see one or more of my log or configuration files. Just let me know which one(s)

Thanks.
Re: When HD-3000 card is inserted, "startx" hangs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:35 am Reply with quote

Solved this myself:
-----------------
Thanks to everyone who took a look at the problem. I'd also like to note that I sent this problem to the tech support email address and to date have heard nothing back.

The solution - increase the AGP aperture in BIOS. It had been at its default of 128mb. I changed it to 256, and now my machine boots with no error messages, and lets me "startx"

Still haven't gotten the card working, but at least this problem is solved.
-------------------

msproull wrote:
I didn't see this question elsewhere, I apologize if it's already been answered.

I had been running Mythtv using only a pvr-350 for a few months with (after finally getting everything set up) no problems. When I got my hi-def TV, I figured out my modeline, and got the old card working with the new tv as well.

Then I downloaded and compiled version 2 of the HD-3000 drivers, which seemed to go ok, and put the card into the machine. As I mentioned in my subject, when I try "startx" I get garbage on the screen and the machine hangs. When I take the HD-3000 out, the machine boots and runs X and mythtv correctly.

I saw a post about someone moving the card to a different slot. That won't work for me. The components on the card only squeeze around the components on my motherborad in one slot. I did, however, move the pvr-350 to another slot. It didn't help.

My only error message is during boot:

Unable to allocate memory for device #1 (then lots of 0s and 1's which go by very fast) then finally 1118870343.013.0

This message does not appear when the HD-3000 is not in the machine.

I updated my bios, hoping that might help, but it didn't.

I have now disconnected from the tv, hooked the machine back up to a computer monitor, and replaced xorg.conf with its original version, which I had saved from the original config of the machine. The machine still hangs when I try to start x.

Just to see what would happen, I put the fedora core 4 dvd into the machine, booted, and started the install. The machine hung when the install program was attempting to start x.

Hardware
Motherboard: A-bit As8
Processor: P4 3.4 GHz
DDRAM: 1 GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce 6600 256mb
Software (all updated to most recent)
Setup using Jarrod's guide: http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

Please tell me I skipped a step during setup, or made some other stupid mistake! Otherwise, I'm sure you'll want to see one or more of my log or configuration files. Just let me know which one(s)

Thanks.
When HD-3000 card is inserted, "startx" hangs the
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card