pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HowTo on Fedora Core 1 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HowTo on Fedora Core 1 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Spinoza

I need to get this thing running by the super bowl so I figured I'd better start... Wink

Fedora was actually pretty easy.... you only have to change 4 characters of C code Wink

1.) Install Fedora Core 1 with kernel development and development packages
2.) down 2.4.22-patch from download section of pchdtv.com
3.) apply kernel patch by sitting in your /usr/src directory, and executing "patch -p0 < linux-2.4.22-pcHDTV-1.0.patch"
4.) head over to /usr/include/linux
5.) patch videodev.h by executing "patch < videodev-pcHDTV-1.0.patch"
NOTE for 3. and 5. it is ok to have paths instead of file names for patch files. For instance, "patch < /home/you/hdtv/videodev-pcHDTV-1.0.patch" is ok.
5.) head into linux-2.4
6.) copy correct config file from /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config ( ie i686 for p4 machines, athlon for athlon... )
6.) "make xconfig" click 'General Setup' scroll down click 'ACPI Support' turn it off
7.) Edit MakeFile.... use vi or something... 4th line down... you'll see 'EXTRAVERSION' make it '-1.2115.nptl' instead of '-1.2115.nptlcustom'
( Yes this will cause the orignal kernel to be over written when "make install" is executed. If you want, you can create a copy of your current kernel and add it to the boot loader. )
8.) make dep
9.) make bzImage
10.) make modules
11.) make modules_install
... barring any errors...
12.) make install
13.) reboot with new kernel...

Still with me... Kernel is set... now the driver

grab the RH90 1.2 driver from the downloads section

Modify bttv-driver.c by reading my other post

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79

It's on about line 2207 for those non regex guys...

now compile the driver

make
make install

check dmesg for bttv messages

try to get a signal!!!

This works for me. This is the process I went through, the best I can remember it. Any comments or questions are welcome. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Thanks! I'll try this right away.

Out of curiosity, why are we overwriting the kernel?

Aw heck, I like living dangerously Smile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
mk500

Well, no dice for me using these instructions. I ran into this bug during the make bzImage (from bugzilla):

Quote:

> make bzImage
>
> (After some time I get the following:)
>
> kernel/kernel.o(.text+0x1033): In function 'schedule':
> :undefined reference to 'active_load_balance'
> make[1]: *** [kallsyms] error 1

run
# make oldconfig
twice

Search the archives for more. Search for "active_load_balance".
Has been discussed a million times...

Anyway, things got much worse when I tried the workaround (I think after that first compile, it was hard to get the sources clean again), so I'm starting over. I'm going to try a variation on your instructions using the default .config file.

Thanks for posting these instructions though. It's nice to know at least someone has it working. Gives me hope Smile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Spinoza

"make mrproper" will clean out everything in a kernel source tree.... including your .config file, so be careful.

I can't imagine what went wrong with "make bzImage" though. What config file from the configs directory are you using? My system is an athlon so I used the athlon one.... hmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Spinoza wrote:
"make mrproper" will clean out everything in a kernel source tree.... including your .config file, so be careful.

I can't imagine what went wrong with "make bzImage" though. What config file from the configs directory are you using? My system is an athlon so I used the athlon one.... hmmm....

Yes, I alwasy run make mrproper before doing compile (after backing up my .config elsewhere).

I'm running 586, because I have a C3 processor. Over the last few days, I've gone back to trying to cull down the .config further. However, I think the problem I'm having with your instructions is the removal of "custom" from EXTRAVERSION. There seems to be issues with overwriting the existing kernel if some components were previously compiled as modules, and are now going into the kernel. Here is a posting I found on this from another forum:

Quote:

...compiled devices directly in to the
kernel this time around, they were modules last time around, and you
have kept the same kernel name. If you do this the make modules_install
blasts the module from the /lib/modules/2.4.xx and a subsequent mkinitrd
can't load the module. Check out dmesg to see if this is the
problem.

I'm getting hundreds of errors like this:

Code:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/unsupported/net/ipx/ipx.o
depmod:         register_8022_client_R30f1cd4d
depmod:         unregister_8022_client_R7acef15d
depmod:         register_snap_client_Rb7fe08e1
depmod:         destroy_8023_client_R2ed31747
depmod:         make_8023_client_Rb7ed094b
depmod:         make_EII_client_R6dba18d3
depmod:         destroy_EII_client_R51e17b23
depmod:         unregister_snap_client_R9abefc50

This happens during make modules_install and make install.

I think I'm going to try compiling with custom back in the name, or will that defeat your instructions?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
Spinoza

nah, that doesn't defeat my instructions, and should work just fine.... I just hate having custom stuck on to the end of my kernel name. The point of my instructions is that you don't have to change anything in the kernel configuration except ACPI support. However... I am using the athlon config... so there is a possiblility that the 586 config isn't so nice.

Those errors aren't that hard to solve by hand though.... for instance, if you compiled ipx support into the kernel, or disabled the support for it, remove the file.

rm /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/unsupported/net/ipx/ipx.o

or you could clean out the whole modules directory before you run make modules_install.... I always hated dealing with that 'custom' stuck on because I've gotten conflicts with compiling drivers that don't expect that in the kernel name... and since this is a touchy driver, I wanted to be as clean as possible.

Another tip.... do everything as root..... you you're experimenting here anyway, this isn't a production machine... always being root eliminates nearly all permission problems. I found that somtimes I got segfaults as a normal user, but never as root... and I always made sure the devices had the correct permissions... oh well.

I did watch the super bowl yesterday with the pchdtv card. I have it hooked up to an Infocus X1 projector with about an 8 foot screen... It was a good party.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Spinoza wrote:
nah, that doesn't defeat my instructions, and should work just fine.... I just hate having custom stuck on to the end of my kernel name. The point of my instructions is that you don't have to change anything in the kernel configuration except ACPI support. However... I am using the athlon config... so there is a possiblility that the 586 config isn't so nice.

Those errors aren't that hard to solve by hand though.... for instance, if you compiled ipx support into the kernel, or disabled the support for it, remove the file.

rm /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/unsupported/net/ipx/ipx.o

or you could clean out the whole modules directory before you run make modules_install.... I always hated dealing with that 'custom' stuck on because I've gotten conflicts with compiling drivers that don't expect that in the kernel name... and since this is a touchy driver, I wanted to be as clean as possible.

Another tip.... do everything as root..... you you're experimenting here anyway, this isn't a production machine... always being root eliminates nearly all permission problems. I found that somtimes I got segfaults as a normal user, but never as root... and I always made sure the devices had the correct permissions... oh well.

I did watch the super bowl yesterday with the pchdtv card. I have it hooked up to an Infocus X1 projector with about an 8 foot screen... It was a good party.

Thanks, Spinoza, I hadn't realized how the modules directories worked. I'll try some new angles based on your advice. I wish I were more of a Linux expert....but I guess I'm learning much right now. Thanks for your patience.

That Superbowl party must have really rocked! Smile I can't wait to try that type of thing (I have a projector from work that might have to come home some weekend).
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
PistolChad

I am a Linux Newbie, so please be patient with me.

During the step "make modules", I see this output at the end of the make. Can someone please confirm to me that this is a showstopper and that until I figure out what these errors are that I cannot continue with the above instructions?

Thanks!

/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/include/linux/skbuff.h:1133: warning: asm oper and 1 probably doesn't match constraints
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/include/linux/netdevice.h: In function `netif_ tx_disable':
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/include/linux/netdevice.h:836: warning: asm op erand 1 probably doesn't match constraints
make[3]: *** [module.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/drivers/addon/cipe '
make[2]: *** [_modsubdir_cipe] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/drivers/addon'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_addon] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
HowTo on Fedora Core 1 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics