pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> xine-hd locks up after a few minutes but...
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
xine-hd locks up after a few minutes but...
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
proto_potty

Whenever I run xine-hd from the command line like:
Code:
xine -C[channel X] dtv://
I get a 50-50 chance of getting the audio and video to work at standard definition, but any interference received will crash xine. Any 780p or 1080i just wont even start, I just get a blank window in xine. But if I use
Code:
getatsc /dev/dtv. "channel X" > x.vid
and then in a different terminal window
Code:
xine x.vid
it will play anything that getatsc will put out, even 1080i content will play without dropping any frames and any interference just messes up a frame of video and keeps on going like nothing happened. I have a dual athlonMP 2200+ with a GeForce 6800 running xine-hd with xvmc active.. Is this just some immaturity in xine-hd or am I doing something wrong? I could care less about storing video on my hard drive. I just want to watch hdtv without filling up my hard drive.
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Have you tried "xine -V xvmc" to be totally sure it's using XvMC?

Try running "xine --verbose=8" to see how far xine is getting.
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
proto_potty

I did try running xine with the "-V xvmc" option, but that made no difference. With standard definition video I can get it working until the station drops it's signal for less than a second about every few minutes. When ever I have getatsc save the stream to a file and have xine play that file, xine will just mess up the video a bit when the station drops and keep on playing the rest of the video. When I run "xine -V xvmc dtv://" standard def video will run just fine for a while until the signal drops for a bit and the video will just loop the same three frames at about 1 frame per second indefinitly. --verbose=8 prints this out whent he error happens:
Code:
 demux error! transport error
demux error! transport error
demux_ts: PID 0x0014: unexpected cc 7 (expected 4)
demux_ts: PID 0x0011: unexpected cc 13 (expected 12)
liba52:a52 frame failed crc16 checksum.
video_out: throwing away image with pts 8756899 because it's too old (diff : 10068).
video_out: throwing away image with pts 8798010 because it's too old (diff : 15391).
video_out: throwing away image with pts 8838161 because it's too old (diff : 20687).
video_out: throwing away image with pts 8878858 because it's too old (diff : 24891).

When ever I try to get any 780p or 1080i video with "xine -V xvmc dtv://" I just get a blank screen and --verbose=8 mode will just print out "demux error! transport error" repeatedly. Dtvsignal shows that every digital station in my area has about 90~95% signal strength, so I don't think it is an issue with bad reception. The signal dropping I described before is from the transmitter as people I know who have an HDTV have noticed the occasional video corruption every few minutes with that station.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

It's almost certainly a problem with your reception. You are probably experiencing multipath. This can be causing by passing vehicles and other unpredicable conditions. I had a problem just like this until I figured out my breakups were caused by a bus going down a street.

If the station's transmitter is dying, you better give them a call and tell them to fix it. You won't be able to fix it on your end.

In any case, xine will never be able to play a stream that's this corrupted.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Jimbo

Quote:

Bullshit -- that is not acceptable. TVs don't crash and require power cycling when they receive a bad stream. They wait until they get a good stream then they display it just fine.

I really home that some effort is getting put into making a movie player that can handle occassional stream corruption...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Jimbo wrote:
Quote:

Bullshit -- that is not acceptable. TVs don't crash and require power cycling when they receive a bad stream. They wait until they get a good stream then they display it just fine.

Not bullshit, It's a fact. If you don't like it, go to the xine homepage and enter it as a bug.

Your computer is not a TV. ATSC receivers don't crash because companies spend millions of dollars designing a specific piece of hardware to receive ATSC without crashing. Well, actually they do crash but have a built-in timer to automattically reset themselves. And they don't "wait until they get a good stream:. They just display garbage or a "waiting to acquire signal" message. And if you think STB's don't lock up, you must have bought one of the more recent models.

Quote:
I really home that some effort is getting put into making a movie player that can handle occassional stream corruption...

And give it away for free like xine? Rolling Eyes

I get occasional corruption when a plane flies over. xine and mplayer almost always recover from it. If you can't receive a station without getting a bad packet every minute, you are much better off watching it with an ATSC STB with a fourth generation receiver. This will cost somewhat more than the HD-3000.
xine-hd locks up after a few minutes but...
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd