pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> Any way to use Mac's Toast Titanium on HD3000 output (.nuv)?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Any way to use Mac's Toast Titanium on HD3000 output (.nuv)?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:16 am Reply with quote
CharlesWGreenJr

OK, now that my pcHDTV system's hard disk is full of shows and movies I've recorded off the air from digital transmissions, I need to start writing them to DVD. However, my attempts to get knoppmyth's 'nuv2disc' working have all failed to date - if I run it from the GUI, it completes immediately without producing a file (can't find any error messages logged anywhere), and while I appear to be able to 'nuvexport' some files via the command line, they don't show up in the GUI (probably because I either don't put them in the correct directory, whatever that is, or there's no database entry for them) so I can't write them to DVD via the menu system.

However, on an unrelated note, I now have a G4 iMac with a SuperDrive and Toast Titanium 6, so I should now be able to write DVDs with that as well. My understanding from posts on other forums is that the .nuv files are MPEG2 and that Toast should be able to handle them; while the 'file' command identifies them as "MPEG sequence", Toast says they're a file format it doesn't understand, even if I rename the extension to some variant of mpeg2.

So, does anyone know the least amount of 'munging' that's necessary to do to the .nuv files to turn them into something that will be recognized by such third-party packages? Something that doesn't transcode the actual contents of the data stream would be preferable, I'd think, since every conversion probably introduces some sort of degradation in the video.

Thanks!

-Charles Green

HD-3000
Antec Aria case
Zalman 7000-Cu heatsink
Samsung Spinpoint 180 GB SATA drive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
keithc

I never burn discs from Myth, I always take the files to my Mac first. Partially because I've decided to hide myth in the wall so I no longer have to worry about noise or cooling.

And I gave up Toast when I moved to OS X (so many years ago, it seems). Instead, use a mix of free tools. ffmpegx is simply brilliant, and it has no problem transcoding directly from nuv files. It can directly create ISOs that can then be burned using Apple's built in disk utility, or you could transcode multiple files to dvd spec mpeg2s and put multiple videos on a disk using the free Sizzle program (it's painful but free).
Any way to use Mac's Toast Titanium on HD3000 output (.nuv)?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card