pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> nVidia GeForce Optima 5700LE & FC4
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
nVidia GeForce Optima 5700LE & FC4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
rab45

I have two Athlon 64 sytems (3400's) with the same motherboards (ATX micro) and same video cards (nVidia GeForce Optima 5700LE) and each having an HD3000. One system has been running FC2 since FC2 became available. The other system is running FC4 with all the latest yum updates (as of yesterday). Once I got the FC2 system working (using Xine and dtvstream and crontab) I haven't upgraded it out of fear of screwing things up. Although not perfect, it works well enough to record and view hdtv daily using the HD3000. Both use the nVidia proprietary driver.

The FC2 system is connected to an RCA 32" multimedia TV which has both VGA (800x600) and HDTV (components) inputs. Using either port (the HDTV using an RCA vga to component converter or the VGA port directly), I get a beautiful 1920x1080i display. The output from the FC2 system looks just like the output from a DCT100 HDTV tuner. The 1080i ouput is of course interlaced and the interlacing is noticeable if I display windows/text but hardly noticeable when displaying recorded HDTV programs.

The FC4 system (using the same video card and xorg.conf as the FC2 system) displays the 1920x1080i output but it looks like the display is adjusted to try to eliminate interlace flicker (which reminds me of some TV's which have a setting to improve the readability of computer text). The output just looks funny compared to the output from the FC2 system. When displaying HDTV programs you can tell it's different (but less noticeable). I cannot get useable display unless I use the nVidia proprietary driver. Also, the same thing happens if I use an nVidia 5200 video card. I thought it was the card until I tried a new 5700 card.

I'm not sure what is causing the difference. The only difference is the OS. Is there some nVidia option I should set in the xorg.conf file? I'm using the same modelines in both xorg.conf files. I would like to move to FC4 for both systems. (I'm using mplayer with -vo xv and pchdtvr on the FC4 system and it's much more stable than using the hdtv patched version of xine under FC2.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
inkling

rab45 wrote:
I'm not sure what is causing the difference. The only difference is the OS. Is there some nVidia option I should set in the xorg.conf file? I'm using the same modelines in both xorg.conf files. I would like to move to FC4 for both systems. (I'm using mplayer with -vo xv and pchdtvr on the FC4 system and it's much more stable than using the hdtv patched version of xine under FC2.)

Same nvidia driver version on both?

How does xine output look on FC4, same as mplayer?

It almost sounds like something is enabling the de-interlacing by default.

pchdtvr should work OK with FC2.

-ink
Re: nvidia xine mplayer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
rab45

inkling wrote:
rab45 wrote:

Same nvidia driver version on both?

How does xine output look on FC4, same as mplayer?

It almost sounds like something is enabling the de-interlacing by default.

pchdtvr should work OK with FC2.

-ink

No, now that you mention it the nvidia drivers may be different. Once I was able to record , schedule, and view I stopped updating for fear of screwing things up. So it's either something FC4 is doing or it's the nvidia driver. Because dtvstream does everything I need under FC2 I never investigated your pchdtvr (thanks, by the way for a great program!). But I'm tired of the bugs and other deficiencies in FC2 and xine. If I could get the display to work correctly, I would switch to FC4 for both but I dare not do this until I have all the bugs worked out.

I've looked in vain for some option in FC4 or the nvidia driver. xvidtune reports the same modeline being used on both systems and the flag for interlacing. I think your correct that it is de-interlacing - the text looks like every other line has been removed. There is no flicker but the screen text is more difficult to read and hdtv display is noticeably poorer - interlacing, especially high resolution interlacing looks very good (compared to the old analog interlacing of conventional tv).

I've read through the nvidia driver information for the xorg.conf file but haven't noticed anything that looks relevant.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics