pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Does HD-3000 + HD Capable STB = HD Output
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Does HD-3000 + HD Capable STB = HD Output
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
jturner0626

I am in the process of building a MythTv based around a Hauppague PVR-250 connected to a Charter Digital Cable system. I have the coax running to a Motorola box which in turn is connected to the Happhauge. In this setup I am receiving the SD output from my cable to display to my analog TV set. My main reason for building a MythTv box (current Tivo S1 owner) is the ability to receive and control HD programming before the Boradcast Flag makes the choice for me. Assuming that I purchase an upgraded HD cable box from Charter anbd route the ouput through that, am I safe to assume that I can receive all HD programming, unencrypted and encrypted while running through an HD-3000? An IR blaster will be used for channel changing. There are approximately 8 channels in my area that are broadcast in HD but not over the air (Cinemax, HBO, ESPN) At least to me the FAQ is unclear in this setup.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

--Joel Turner
Re: Does HD-3000 + HD Capable STB = HD Output
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
kmj0577

jturner0626 wrote:
Assuming that I purchase an upgraded HD cable box from Charter anbd route the ouput through that, am I safe to assume that I can receive all HD programming, unencrypted and encrypted while running through an HD-3000?

Well, there's several things you need to know:
1) The main coaxial of any cable box only outputs analog. This means you cannot hook up your HD-3000 to your cable box and expect to receive the HD signal. Some, however, do have an RF bypass to which you could hook the HD-3000 up, but the tuning on the box will not affect what the HD-3000 sees.
2) You will not be able to receive encrypted programming while running the HD-3000 as only the cable box will understand the signal. Since the cable box only outputs HD over component and DVI/HDMI, you cannot receive this with the HD-3000.
3) Because of the above two, you can only receive unencrypted signals straight from the cable source. This means no routing through your cable box unless you have an RF bypass. This also means you may not get a whole lot of channels. At a minimum you will get local broadcasts assuming your cable provider carries the station in HD (which requires a negotiation between your provider and the station).
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
jturner0626

Thanks. That explains it more fully. So realistically the best I can hope for is the following using MythTV:

1) An HD STB with coax output through a PVR-250 will encode as an SD mpeg-2 file. Output through Nvidia VGA - Component -Plasma = SD
2) An HD STB output through DVI/HDMI interface to Plasma = HDTV both encrypted and unecrypted but is not recordable through a MythTv system as HD content.
3) Cable source with RF splitter to HD-3000 allows unecrypted channels to be captured for recording and HD output through Nvidia VGA - Component -Plasma

Does that seem correct?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
kmj0577

jturner0626 wrote:
Thanks. That explains it more fully. So realistically the best I can hope for is the following using MythTV:

1) An HD STB with coax output through a PVR-250 will encode as an SD mpeg-2 file. Output through Nvidia VGA - Component -Plasma = SD
2) An HD STB output through DVI/HDMI interface to Plasma = HDTV both encrypted and unecrypted but is not recordable through a MythTv system as HD content.
3) Cable source with RF splitter to HD-3000 allows unecrypted channels to be captured for recording and HD output through Nvidia VGA - Component -Plasma

Does that seem correct?

Yes, that's correct. There's a 4th way which involves using firewire and running it from your cable box, but it's really no better than using the HD-3000. Although I think it's possible from some DVRs to transfer what you recorded on there using firewire.
Does HD-3000 + HD Capable STB = HD Output
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics