pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD3000 installed: PCI: Cannot allocate resource region...
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD3000 installed: PCI: Cannot allocate resource region...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
danhd123

I just got an HD3000, and I'm having what appears to be a conflict between my video card, an Asus/ATi 9600 XT/TVD (video in with a breakout box, but no TV tuner). It may be something else though, as I have no problems with it in Windows. At any rate, when it's plugged into the PCI socket, X11 doesn't work (or it might be X.org, whatever Fedora Core uses right now); the screen is garbled, at best, although the command line works fine. This during both installation and normal use. I can't seem to get Knoppmyth to work either, although there it's simply a blank screen. When booting FC with the card plugged in, there's an error early on that disappears too quickly for me to get a good look at it (no chance to slow it down either, the Interactive boot option comes much later), but it's something like "Failed to allocate PCI device at ..." and then a string of 1's and 0's that looks like a PCI address.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by danhd123 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
danhd123

For reference, my hardware (with what could possibly be problematic) is as follows:

Abit IC7-G motherboard with i875 chipset, up to date BIOS (has a hybrid AGP 8x/AGP Pro slot)
socket 478 P4 2.8C
2x 512 MB Dual Channel PC3200 RAM (generic, I think)
Asus/ATi Radeon 9600XT/TVD 128 MB (has Rage Theater chip, but no tuner) in AGP slot (8x)
Aopen Cobra 5.1 sound card (PCI 2)
pcHDTV HD-3000 (PCI 3, but I've tried it in PCI 5 too)
Western Digital 200GB PATA HD (IDE 1 master)
Western Digital 160GB SATA HD (seen as IDE 3 master)
NEC 2510A DVD burner (IDE 2 master)
generic DVD-ROM (which may be faulty, since it doesn't always eject on command) (IDE 2 slave)
Dell 19" CRT monitor (up to 1600x1200, but X fails even on 800x600 or 640x480)

Also, it appears all was not working in Windows as well as I thought; the device manager said I had "too many devices", so I disabled the DVI output from my graphics card. Not surprisingly, no effect in Linux.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
kregars

ok..start by removing ALL non essential items...extra drives, cards etc...ONLY have what you need installed (root drive(s) as needed may be left in..but DVD/CD Rom drives are not needed to pinpoint the issue).

Power on the machine. Walk the DMESG and look in syslog for any errors. Then power off, and start adding card/drive at a time and power back up again looking for anything conflicting.

If you have onboard video and have the AGP slot utilized, try without the video card, then power off, install card, power up, log into the bios and disable the onboard video then power OFF after saving and power back on.

Do this till you identify the cause of your frustration...then start looking to find known conflicts.

It can be VERY time consuming and VERY frustrating..but in the end, when it all works out, you have gained some knowledge and feel good you found the source of your frustration and resolved the issue.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
danhd123

That's what I'm in the middle of right now. Unfortunately, I don't have onboard video.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
danhd123

Okay, slowed it down enough to read the exact error:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0000:01:00.0
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #0:1000000@e0000000 for 0000:01:00.0

This appears only with the card plugged in, even in a near-minimal state: the PATA HD, 1 optical drive and the graphics card installed. This would seem to confirm my suspicions of the graphics card being at fault. OTOH, FWIW, I tried a different TV card that my roommate had lying around (ATi TV Wonder PCI, the most basic one), and there was no problem with it.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
danhd123

Well this is certainly surprising... ATi's Windows TV viewing software works, and surprisingly well, at least in analog... now to get digital working.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
danhd123

And that's that. It's either a faulty card, or a motherboard incompatibility. Tested with a different graphics card, same problem.

EDIT: maybe not... interestingly, if I boot without quiet passed in GRUB, I still get the same errors, but much later on in dmesg, it does in fact recognize the card. A PCI thing, perhaps? I know there's quite a bit on the PCI bus besides the obvious devices... I shouldn't be running out of IRQ's, but I wonder if that's the case.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
danhd123

A bit more digging finds me information that would seem to indicate the device in question that's having the allocation problems is in fact the graphics card.

With that in mind, anyone know why having the HD3k plugged in would cause this?
HD3000 installed: PCI: Cannot allocate resource region...
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics