pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> Mini ITX Motherboard with HDTV MPEG-2 Decoder & HDTV Ou Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
tkripala

Have you posted your question to the Unichrome mailing list? In my opinion, the open source Unichrome drivers are better than the VIA drivers (which are actually not open source, in spite of what VIA's press releases say). Compiling in the drivers are not so easy but you can download kernel and X.org rpm's that have compiled in support for the VIA chipsets.

Check out the following sites for rpm's:

http://washington.kelkoo.net/epia/
http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

A search in the Unichrome mailing lists show that the drivers do not support the VT1625 chip nor do they support HDTV through the component output. Most Unichrome developers are in Europe where HDTV hardly exists so it's not a priority for them.

One guy is working on it and has posted an incomplete patch but it hasn't been incorporated into CVS and I don't know if it works. Your only real HDTV option if you want to use the component output is to use VIA binary drivers or compile the source VIA released.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
stevehaigh

i notice the last post in this topic was about 1 year ago. does anyone know of a good driver now for fedora core 4?

also what MPEG player are you using? i tried mplayer but it can't handle HD streams at faster than 1-2 frames/sec. is there supposed to be hardware acceleration in there?

thanks, steve
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I've seen a lot of activity on the Unichrome mailing list lately but my box has been sitting around for months. I spent hours going through the driver trying to figure out what every register did but since I'm no good with hardware I just couldn't get anything to work consistantly.

Maybe I should plug it back in, get some updates and see if they got anything working.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

The documentation for the Openchrome driver has improved a lot! It clears up all the confusion between the various drivers (VIA's, Kdrive, Unichrome, Openchrome) but while Openchrome supports XvMC, there's a sad note under the CN400 chipset that the Commel board uses:

Quote:
There is support for the vt1623 tv encoder present on the CN400, but support is not complete for the vt1625 HDTV encoder present on some Commel motherboards.

Since I want to use the VT1625's component output, it still looks like Openchrome can't help me here. VIA's drivers are still ancient Fedora 1 and 2 versions! A year later, it looks like I'm still on my own. Crying or Very sad
Mini ITX Motherboard with HDTV MPEG-2 Decoder & HDTV Ou
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd