pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Basic install of FC4 that has everything needed for MythTV
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Basic install of FC4 that has everything needed for MythTV
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
kregars

Anyone have a specific list of what packages need to be installed when getting FC4 installed and prepped for the HD3k and MythTV to work?

Basically...I am installing FC4, not installing Gnome, printers, etc...but am choosing KDE and various other services. This machine is my primary backend and front end (for now).

Basically...looking to install with the most minimal required packages to have a fully functioning Myth setup with full functions of Myth...no...HD realestate is not the objective...creating a machine I can use as a model as to what is needed or simply DD'd when my parents, neighbors etc get their gear (most are getting the deal I got on my base system (case, mobo, CPU, RAM, Video Card etc).

Thanks in advance,
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

In my first try at MythTV I only installed what Jarod Wilson suggested in his Mythtv/Fedora guide. Later, I decided to add some packages and could not get them to install from the CD. When I eventually re-did my myth box, I went ahead and installed everything.

This is a computer, and you eventually will want to use it as such. Also, if you're showing it off to other people, this is a plus. You can't surf the web or do e-mail with a tivo.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
kregars

Nod..but installing everything (6 gigs last I checked) to me is wasteful. I can get a full install with about 1.6gigs and still have everything that needs to be installed installed, however, I am positive there are some things that are not required, thus I am looking to create a kickstart image merely with just the bare needed files. Anything else that needs to be installed after the fact can be pulled down by yum.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:18 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I just "discovered" a program called MythDora. It looks to be modeled after Knoppmyth, except it uses Fedora Core 4. The latest version was pulled to make changes to it, but you can still get the old version.

http://www.g-ding.tv/
http://swik.net/MythDora
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/MythDora-7825.shtml

It's download size is about 600MB. Has anyone tried this?

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Jim

cool I am downloading mythdora now.
FYI I have a mythic Dragon hardware setup. I bought it to review resell in my busines if it was good, but I am mainly into promoting free off the air, fair use etc. I have not made a cent on this, but is a tax write off to the wife. So far I can copy ota HDTV transfer to disk etc. All the stuff home media buyers can't do.
I will expose my Dragon open source hardware to play with, it has performed well in my experiments. I played with fc everything thenI bought a Dragon. It mostly works out of the box. for ota HDTV, but not ready for primetime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Jim wrote:
cool I am downloading mythdora now.

They just released version 2.1. I may have to try it out, if all the bugs are worked out.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
jacqueusi

kregars, did you ever get your system up-and-running? If so, would you mind sharing your steps with me? I've got a Dell SC400 as a backend running one PVR-250 to connect to my DirecTV receiver (serial), and two HD-3000. Using Jarod's guide, getting MythTV setup and the PVR-250 went w/o a hitch. Unfortuantely, Jarod hasn't gotten around to updating the HDTV portion of his guide. As of today, I'm probably a week into getting my setup complete, BUT am totally stuck on the HD-3000 configuration. SOOO CLOSE, yet so far. I've done my best to check this site, Google, mythtv.org/wiki/, and gossamer and find myself even more confused that when I started. Doesn't help that I have a small window to work on the box with a 15 month old in the house.

Any help from anyone in the group would be MOST appreciated. I would LOVE to get my backend running this weekend if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Basic install of FC4 that has everything needed for MythTV
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics