pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux -> HDTV and Channels above 125
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HDTV and Channels above 125
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Marty Richey

I am fluent in Linux but Myth TV and DVR/ PVR are new to me, so forgive my ignorance.

Cards like the 3000, will they show channels from my cable above channel 125? I'm with Adelphia and have their complete package: movie channels start at 201 to 279; HD at 704 to 776; pay for in between.

These are the movies I'd like to record for "testing purposes only". Laughing

Can this be done? I thought about two cards in one PC (2.8ghz with 512mb of RAM and 200gb storage running wireless Dlink nic back to network): one for normal channesl and one for HDTV if I can tune to those channels?

Thanks for your help.

MR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I don't think the tuner in the pcHDTV-3000 will go that high, but maybe someone else can better answer that question.

TV Tuner/capture cards (like the pcHDTV-3000) will only show unencrypted broadcasts. Most premium channels are encrypted, otherwise no one would pay for them. Local HD channels are sent unencrypted on cable.

The only way to record an encrypted broadcast is to capture it after it has been decoded. Your cable box should have composite outputs that you can input to the capture card. This will not be HD, and any cheap card can do this.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Last edited by waterhead on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Re: HDTV and Channels above 125
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

Marty Richey wrote:
Cards like the 3000, will they show channels from my cable above channel 125? I'm with Adelphia and have their complete package: movie channels start at 201 to 279; HD at 704 to 776; pay for in between.

The channels don't really go up that high. Your cable co probably has 256-QAM digital channels somewhere around channel 79 to 120. Each of these channels has enough bandwidth to carry multiple programs, about two HD programs, 11 SD programs, or 50+ music channels. If you had a TV with a QAM tuner, you could get these channels with numbers like 79.1, 79.2, 80.1 and so on. Your cable box remaps them to more normal numbers for you.

A digital card like the HD-3000 can get these channels, but most of them will be encrypted. The FCC requires that the local broadcast channels are unencrypted, so you can probably get those. There is no way you can get the others on a computer. If you had a new TV with a QAM tuner and a CableCard slot you could get them, but there is no CableCard hardware for computers and there probably never will be. The cableco is more than happy to force you to rent the box from them. Bet that box shows you lots of ADS.
HDTV and Channels above 125
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux