pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> 5500 analog audio device? driver? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
5500 analog audio device? driver?
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
serrs

Code:
lspci | grep -i audio
01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
01:08.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
01:08.4 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [IR Port] (rev 05)

I guessed at using
modprobe cx88_alsa

It loaded, but doesn't seem to have a device in /dev ???

I'm assuming I can pick up analog TV audio from this, not just from the audio jack in the back of the card?
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

Looks like not, just the analog port on the back. Same as the HD-3000. I don't know why they disable the cx23883 audio function. Maybe it can be turned back if the eeprom isn't write protected.
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
serrs

So for analog audio capabilities of this card I have... ?

I assume I can get to the Audio jack.... I don't know what driver to load for that.

But what about analog TV audio through the coax? [agreed that I should be using digital but I don't have it yet]

Thanks,
Scott
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
serrs

bump...

I'd like to be set straight.

It'd be nice if there was something like a full list of inputs and methods spelled out.

Code:

Digital Input methods:
  XXX

Analog Input methods:
  Analog Video can come in through:
    XX
  Analog Audio can come in through:
    Svideo  - on device /dev/xx
    Analog coax TV tuner  - on device /dev/xx
    Audio jack  - on device /dev/xx
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

I don't have an HD-5500, but I'm pretty sure the audio jack is an output, not an input. It would be the analog audio output. You have to connect it to a soundcard to capture the analog audio. I don't know why they disable the cx23883's analog audio capture ability. Maybe Rusty can explain the why that's done.
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

I don't know why it's been designed that way. It's my understanding the CX23883 doesn't actually have audio capture (A/D converters) ability but allows for I2C inputs from an external audio codec. My guess (and that's just what it is) is that the design has always focussed on the HDTV side of the design and the NTSC design is a holdover from earlier designs.

The HD2000 card conflicts with the BT878 audio driver because the HD2000 used the same PCI device for video that other cards use for the audio function. That type of issue was resolved for the HD3000 and HD5500. I think somewhere along the line a choice was made to use the soundcard audio (external cable from HD3000/5500 audio out to sound card line in) instead of putting an audio codec on the board.

My $0.02

Rusty
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

The cx23883 does have an audio A/D converter. It has two 10-bit A/D converters in fact. With an S-video input, one is used for luma and the other for chroma. With a composite input, like a tuner, one ADC is used for video and the other can be used for audio. In fact, the HD-3000 (and probably the HD-5500) do just this! See section 2.1.2 in the cx23880 datasheet.

When you get analog audio from the card, it not produced directly by the tuner (as in older bt848 designs) but by the cx23883 chip. It samples the audio with its high speed 10-bit A/D, does BTSC/NICAM/A2, etc. stereo decoding, and then outputs the sound via its built in stereo audio DACs. You can see in the driver, where the BTSC audio setup is done, a 12 dB gain is turned on for the chroma/audio ADC, various V4L2 controls use the cx88 to set audio volume and panning, and so on.

The only thing that is disabled is PCI function 1, that allows this audio, which is already being captured by the cs23883, to be transfered over the PCI bus.

The chip can also interface to an external ADC and/or DAC via I2S, but no one seems to use that feature. A TV card with an SPDIF port that could output dolby digital to a home theater receiver would be really nice. Getting a soundcard that can do DD output in linux is pain, but with a digital audio out on the TV card, you wouldn't even need a sound card at all to make a DVR.
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

I'll bring up this issue and see if anything can be done to turn this on easily. I'll see if I can get a datasheet on the cx23883. All I could find on Conexant's website was market fluff but I didn't search too hard.

Thanks,

Rusty
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
serrs

Thanks xyzzy! Although I don't understand it all... I understand enough to know what to expect.

Rusty, I appreciate the effort to see if we can turn on internal analog audio functionality.
Digital Audio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
nybbler

It looks like the bit to enable audio functionality is read/write ("for test purposes only") so eeprom hackery might not be necessary. But there's gotta be a catch, right?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

Actually, since this was brought up pcHDTV has begun shipping the HD5500 with the digital sound enabled. cx88-alsa is the driver you would want. For those few who got a card prior to this change (/sbin/lspci will tell you if you have an [Audio Port] device on your card or not) You can contact pcHDTV and they will swap your card for one with the change. Thanks to xyzzy for pushing the issue a little harder here.

Historically it was turned off in the HD3000 because there wasn't audio driver support for it under V4L. Most of the video cards that shipped back then had it turned off as well and they used the line-in trick. (At least according to the V4L Wiki) Hence, very few apps have been written to actually use the digital audio input from the computer bus. I understand mplayer will and Myth is supposed to. I haven't had much luck with either, but I was able to get the sound using arecord piped into aplay while tvtime was runing. More info on getting this running can be found at linuxtv.org under V4L Wiki -> Saa7134-alsa The sample rate setting is 48000 instead of 32000 used int he examples.

Hope this Helps,

Rusty
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

Hey, thanks, tech. I was just about to post that I'd tried it out with my new card and it works. Well, it crashes when changing channels but that's probably my very primitive "arecord | aplay" test configuration.

arecord -B 16000 -D hw:0 -c 2 -r 48000 -f S16_LE | aplay -D hw:1

Now there's no need for that annoying loopback cable and my two-tuner system can record two analog channels. Well, as soon as I get such trivialities as a motherboard, case, and power supply Smile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

Since audio is actually can work, I got motivated to look into fixing the eeprom.

I've written a program that will modify the card's eeprom to enable or disable the audio port. I tested it with my HD-3000 and it works!
Code:

00:0d.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: pcHDTV: Unknown device 3000

I've made the a binary of the program available:
http://www.speakeasy.org/~xyzzy/download/cx88_eeprom
And a script that will automatically find the proper I2C devices for any tv cards you have: http://www.speakeasy.org/~xyzzy/download/pchdtv_audio

There shouldn't be any need to go to the trouble to send your card in to swap with a different one, unless there are different versions out there with write-protected eeproms.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
cfr131

pcHDTV_tech wrote:
Actually, since this was brought up pcHDTV has begun shipping the HD5500 with the digital sound enabled. cx88-alsa is the driver you would want. For those few who got a card prior to this change (/sbin/lspci will tell you if you have an [Audio Port] device on your card or not) You can contact pcHDTV and they will swap your card for one with the change. Thanks to xyzzy for pushing the issue a little harder here.

I got a card very early; I have no lspci in /sbin? Probably distro dependent, which is something I am still learning. I do have it in /bin/usr but there is no cx88-alsa on the list. Does that mean I should send the card in to get the update?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
cfr131

I have the analog sound working, but the quality is very bad. It sounds like a 56kbs MP3, with lots of compression artificts. I don't know where to look to see why there is compresion occuring.

The other problem is that in Myth, when switching channels, I lose analog sound.

Running Suse 10.1 Latest myth 20.8

When the audio fails, the backend give the following error:

Code:

2006-10-15 10:39:20.378 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
                        eno: Invalid argument (22)
2006-10-15 10:39:26.816 NVR: Only read 1364 bytes of 5456 bytes from '/dev/dsp1
read audio: Success

5500 analog audio device? driver?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup