pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Fuzz/static at top of screen in MythTV output
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Fuzz/static at top of screen in MythTV output
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
mooshie

Hello all,

I'm running Ubuntu with an AMD64 and kernel 2.6.16.20. First of all let me say that installing of this card under this setup does work, although I'm running into a small problem with playback in MythTV:

When I view TV (it is a QAM signal) in MythTV, at the top of the screen there is a thin line of noise (looks almost like a static channel on a TV), and no configuration options that I've tried can get rid of it. If I record shows, the noise even shows up on the recorded version. The rest of the TV signal looks great, and channel browsing works perfectly (the noise also shows up on every channel). Anyone ever heard of this?

Nate

P.S. For those of you who are comiling kernels in Ubuntu/Debian, you should use make-kpkg instead of make bzImage, make modules_install, etc -- this removes many a headache.
Re: Fuzz/static at top of screen in MythTV output
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
darkwire

mooshie wrote:

When I view TV (it is a QAM signal) in MythTV, at the top of the screen there is a thin line of noise (looks almost like a static channel on a TV), and no configuration options that I've tried can get rid of it. If I record shows, the noise even shows up on the recorded version. The rest of the TV signal looks great, and channel browsing works perfectly (the noise also shows up on every channel). Anyone ever heard of this?

You mean the signal that looks kind of like a bunch of thin long dashes, flickering on and off? That's information, if you don't want to see it, just tweak your overscan a little bit. I think it's kind of lame how some channels show it while others don't though Sad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:58 am Reply with quote
mooshie

Yes that's exactly what it is.. I did tweak the overscan last nite, and it got rid of it (finally!) .. but it still shows up in previews of programs that I have recorded. Yeah I've noticed as well that some channels are fine, or the dashes remain static and don't move.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

That's the closed captions. There is nothing the drivers can do about that for digital channels, you have to take care of it with MythTV or mplayer or xine or whatever is decoding and playing back the digital channel.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
mooshie

xyzzy wrote:
That's the closed captions. There is nothing the drivers can do about that for digital channels, you have to take care of it with MythTV or mplayer or xine or whatever is decoding and playing back the digital channel.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.. I got rid of it by overscanning a bit. Looks great now.. the quality of the video output of the 5500 is superb for non-digital QAM streams (all I have).
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

There is no such thing as non-digital QAM stations. QAM is the method of modulating digital signals used by cable, while VSB is used for other the air (in this country). The closed captions in analog stations can be removed by the driver, if it's tweaked to move the capture window down a couple lines.
Fuzz/static at top of screen in MythTV output
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup