pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HD5500 under KnoppMyth
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD5500 under KnoppMyth
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Donovan

I have been trying to use two HD5500 cards under a fresh KnoppMyth R5C7 (latest version) install without success. I have managed to compile the drivers, recompile the kernel without the corresponding DVB modules, and install the compiled DVB modules and load them. There are a number of errors associated with the other modules I removed (for hardware I don't have) and I have to modprobe the cx88-dvb each time I boot but it does claim to load.

Even so, I cannot get the card to be seen in mythtv setup (the LG front end shows up under DVB cards but I can't get it to do anything or open the card for video).

In detail:

I followed the instructions at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9218 to remove all the DVB drivers and recompile.

I copied the driver source from the CD that came with one of the cards and compiled/installed them following the same methods.

I ran modprobe -f -v cx88-dvb to load the module. I also tried adding cx8800 but that didn't help either.

I ran mythtv-setup and added a capture card. I tried "Analog V4L capture card", "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)", and "pcHDTV DTV capture card (w/V4L drivers)". I tried /dev/video0, /dev/dvb/adapter0, and just DVB 0 (on the DVB selection screen).

I went to Input connections and tried scanning for channels but got the message "Failed to open the card".

Can someone shed some light on how to get this card working under KnoppMyth? I am not a linux expert (this is the first time I've tried to set a system up), and did not know when I bought this card that it would not be supported until kernel 2.6.18. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
waterhead

Make sure that the backend isn't running. You won't gain access to configure the card if it is.

In Fedora 4 the command is:

/sbin/service mythbackend stop

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Re: HD5500 under KnoppMyth
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
simplekid15

Donovan wrote:
I have managed to compile the drivers, recompile the kernel without the corresponding DVB modules, and install the compiled DVB modules and load them. T

I have the same card the pcHDTV 5500 could you send me your compiled version?
Thanks

I dont know how to comple things. Maby someone could tech me how to do it. I really dont know to much about linux.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Donovan

waterhead: The backend was not running when I tried it.

simplekid15: Um, I haven't got any way to get the files off currently but I can tell you what I did.

Run "su -" to get root access and copy the files to the HD. Get into the folder for the driver (the one just before v4l IIRC) and do the following:

Edit v4l/compat.h and change the 2,6,14 at the end of the file (the last KERNEL_VERSION) to 2,6,15 instead.

Run "make KVER=2.6.15-chw", followed by "make KVER=2.6.15-chw install".

That should install the drivers to the kernel (assuming you have not recompiled it with another name or are using another version of the kernel than me). Of course, that did nothing for me so the next thing I did was recompile the kernel as described in the link I provided above, and then did the above with the new kernel name (2.6.15-chw-nodvb). Still nothing.

Since I see error messages for the drivers I removed from the kernel, and since my modprobe of cx88-dvb must be repeated on reboot (I see error messages about it's absence on boot), I'm guessing there are configuration files being loaded at boot that must be changed to remove the old junk and get the new one running at boot time. I don't know if that will make it work when modprobe doesn't, but that's my only guess.

I have tried emailing pcHDTV twice but still no reply.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

In order to compile things, you have to have the developmental software installed. I can't tell you which ones, I just install everything.

Also, I thought that KnoppMyth was a slimmed down version of Knoppix. Usually to slim it down developers leave out programs like the compilers.

Most source code comes with instructions for compiling. It's usually in some form of "README" file.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
cesman

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10580

KnoppMyth hasn't been a remaster of Knoppix for some time now... The packagers are there so if someone wants, they can recompile MythTV and other programs. One of my fustrations before developing KnoppMyth was having to get dependencies... With KnoppMyth, you don't have to worry about this if you want to recompile something.

Re: HD5500 under KnoppMyth
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
peemus

Donovan wrote:
I ran mythtv-setup and added a capture card. I tried "Analog V4L capture card", "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)", and "pcHDTV DTV capture card (w/V4L drivers)". I tried /dev/video0, /dev/dvb/adapter0, and just DVB 0 (on the DVB selection screen).

I went to Input connections and tried scanning for channels but got the message "Failed to open the card".

I was running into this same problem for a while, here is what worked for me. I am using Gentoo so I tried to follow this HowTo which is kinda confusing at times:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV

The gist of the problem at hand is that the user running mythtv doesn't have the right permissions to the device. The HowTo tells you to check that your /dev/v4l/video* devices all have owner and group rw permissions and that the group is video. (I also checked the /dev/dvb/adapter* devices) For me I just had to add my user to the video group and that seemed to work (a little). I was able to do a dtvscan and pick up channels.

As for configuring it in mythtv-setup I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. Like you, I tried the "Analog V4L capture card" and the "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)." The only one I had luck with was the DVB card. I have 2 HD5500's so I was able to select either adapter 0 or 1 below that without any errors.

With the capture device configured as a "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)" I did a scan for channels in mythtv-setup and got several channels. I thought all was great so I went to "Watch TV" in the frontend and walla! I see video! Only one thing, I can't change the channel. It comes up as what was configured to be the default start channel and when I do arrow-up or down the numbers change but the video doesn't.

So all that to say that's what I did so far but I'm not sure if that's right or not. Let me know if that didn't make sense.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I looked over my notes from when I installed MythTV (you are keeping notes, aren't you?).

I have two notes on giving permissions to the card. I think that you may not need to do both:

1) chmod -R 777 /dev/dvb

2) Create a file: 20-dvb.permissions and in it put: dvb/adapter[0-3]*/*:root:mythtv:0666

I'm not sure if my syntax for the second one is correct. I'll do a forum search for "20-dvb.permissions" and see what I get. My FC4 installation is down, so I can't check that.

Also, I had the HD-3000 with Fedora Core 4 and setup may be different.

Paul
EDIT: here's a link:
http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=944&highlight=20dvb+permissions

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Donovan

First, there is a thread now at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10580 that explains a much easier way to get the drivers installed.

Second, it doesn't look like this was my problem. I didn't have a channel listing source created, and this led to the rather cryptic "cannot open" error message that led me to believe it was a driver issue. Setting the channel listing to get it from the air allowed the channels to be scanned and I now have video.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
waterhead

The links to the koppmyth forum lead to a login page. It seems that you have to join their little "club" in order to view the forum.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
HD5500 under KnoppMyth
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup