pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics -> Dumb newbie: TV out?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Dumb newbie: TV out?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote
davidjoho

Does the HD5500 provide high def TV out? If so, via what type of connection (e.g., s-video, etc.)?

Thx.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
peemus

I believe the HD-5500 only provides coax in, s-video in, and composite in. For video out (via s-video or other connection) you will have to use your video card or other means.
video card high def
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
davidjoho

Do you happen to know if any video cards support high def video out? I'm trying to do a knoppmyth installation. Is what I'm trying to do -- mythTV with high def out -- actually possible? Do you need to be a linux hacker to get it to work?

Thanks for your help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote
peemus

Haha, I sure hope not cause that's what I'm trying to get set up!

I'm still trying to get where I can receive any kind of signal through my two HD-5500's. Then I'll figure out how to connect MythTV to them. And finally I'll figure out how to connect the whole thing to my HD TV.

My plan at this point is to use my video card (ATI Radeon 9700) and ATI's DVI->Component adapter to connect to my TV. I'm not quite there yet so I don't know if it will work or not. If it doesn't, my options are to use the S-Video out on the video card, or buy a VGA->Component transcoder (~$100 Sad )

I'll be sure to post somewhere about my experiences.
knoppmyth
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
davidjoho

I've gone a different route, and almost got the system working. I used knoppmyth and let it install my current card (a PVR-350). I got TV out working and was on the verge of getting the IR Blaster to work, but only then found out that the 350 doesn't do hdtv out. So, now I'm starting over Sad

I think I'm going to try knoppmyth again, this time with a 5500. From the little research i've done -- and keep in mind that I'm a bad enough researcher that I bought a 350 -- it looks like nVidia is better supported under linux/mythtv than ati, so I may get the nVidia 6200, unless someone has a better idea.

Please do post your adventures!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
peemus

Yeah, nVidia has better linux driver support than ATI, however AFAIK nVidia cards aren't capable of ouptutting YPbPr (unless they come with an adapter or something, like the eVGA Personal Cinema line, and even then I'm not sure if they are supported in linux).

Most ATI cards (at least the Radeon 9500 - 9800 series) have the hardware ability to output YPbPr (instead of RGB for an LCD or CRT) it's just a matter of enabling it. ATI's DVI->YPbPr adapter is supposed to enable it on the card so I'm hoping I won't even have to mess with the drivers in linux.

Keep in mind that this is just from my research on the internet and I or the source could be wrong. I'm by no means an authority on the subject.

I would be interested in how you would connect to your HDTV with nVidia 6200 if indeed you go that way.

BTW - I'll test the adapter tonight and post about it.
6200 hdtv out
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
davidjoho

From the Net, it seems the 6200 has s-video hdtv out. Is that not good enough? (I'm so confused.)

Where do you post?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
peemus

I meant I'd post about it here... Wink

S-Video is standard definition. It is the highest quality standard definition but still SD. I started to explain it but found this link which should do a better job:
http://lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html

The website mentions "analog component" video with the RGB cables, so on top of that one can transmit digital component video with a DVI cable. Some TVs have a DVI port on them but I think most of them communicate differently than the DVI ports on computers, so probably with some hacking or specialized device one could connect that way. It's mainly because newere HD set-top-boxes have a DVI port that will connect to the TV that way.

Hope that made sense!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
peemus

I didn't get a chance to test out the adapter last night, I was too busy "almost" geting MythTV to work...

So close I can smell the HD...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
peemus

Well, it's confirmed. I plugged the adapter into the card and hooked it up to my TV's component input and pushed the power button. I immediately saw the POST screen and was able to log in and read text just fine. WITHOUT any messing with the drivers.

The ATI Radeon [9500 - 9800] series + ATI DVI->Component adapter = Excellent in my book!
Excellent! Thanks for the info.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote
davidjoho

I've got an adaptor on order now, too.

Now on to the rest of the steps in what seems like an endless march...

I appreciate your help, peemus. Any time you feel like posting more about how you're proceeding, please do! Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
peemus

Er.. I may have posted too soon. I feel really badly about that now...

I got my system to boot but didn't have much time to fiddle with it before I posted. Once I got time to work on it, I realized that X windows is refusing to display correctly. I don't think it's a TV modeline issue because the colors are all off as well as the picture shaking all over the place.

Here's my guess, and this is purely speculation: The card natively knows the adapter is connected and displays video correctly. However, once X loads the fglrx driver it overwrites what the card is doing. So there should be an 'Option' to declare in xorg.conf that would tell the driver to display in YPbPr isntead of RGB but so far I haven't been able to find one. I found a thread on the [mythtv-users] newsgroup where a guy was having this same problem. I emailed him and he said he was never able to get X to work and resorted to S-Video.

For me, I would rather have a high definition connection than remain loyal to linux. So, I almost hate to say it but I'm currently looking into alternate HD tuner cards that will work under windows. ATI's windows drivers will allow for the YPbPr video output. I'm not sure yet so I'll let you know what I finally decide.

I was thinking that I could use a windows HTPC until I got a new TV that had a DVI input. At which point I could move back to linux/MythTV. Anyway, I hope that helps.
Different card?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
davidjoho

Bummer!

Would a different video card help?
Progressive vs. Interlaced Component
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
tzf

I want to make sure you're aware that there is Interlaced Component - and Progressive Component.
Interlaced video: The signal scans all the odd numbered lines, then all the even numbered lines
Progressive video: the signal scans all of the lines in numerical order.

I believe that there is progressive S-video also (some DVD players output it, I think, but don't quote me on that). "Standard" S-video is interlaced.

"Conventional" televisions, like my Y2K Sony WEGA Trinitron dual-tuner CRT television, do not support progressive scan - it has component in, but NOT progressive component.

So, ideally, I'd like to send it ("SD", i.e. "Standard Definition", i.e. "525 line" i.e. something arguably similar to 640x480 resolution, albiet interlaced and not progressive) an Analog, Component, Interlaced signal.

Do these ATI cards do Interlaced video? If so, are you sure they were set to the same (interlaced or progressive) as your TV?

LCD televisions and Plasma screens, all the ones I've seen and installed over the last several years (which is part of what I do for a living), all of them support PROGRESSIVE component in, which makes sense for that technology.

But since I can't personally afford one, me and my CRT are still INTERLACED for the next few years, and I would like to find a reasonable SD 525 Interlaced Linux-positive output card to use with MythTV.

Any suggestions?

TV out with nvidia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
davidjoho

I got a PNY GeForce 6200 card, which comes with a breakout box with component out. I now get video out...but not through the breakout box. Instead, I got a cable with a DVI plug on one side and and HDMI plug on the other. It works.

BUT...I don't yet know if it works for HDTV because I haven't yet gotten HDTV into Myth.

Even after installing the nvidia drivers, I get no apparent signal out of the breakout box's component connection. Of course, I have probably done everything wrong.

Tim, my Sony does suppose progressive scan, at least according to the setup choices. It's a projection TV (i.e., a tube). Besides, I never did figure out how to alter the settings on the ati card I had been using.
Dumb newbie: TV out?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics